Thread: Aircraftman J Hilland - any info?

Thanks

Default Aircraftman J Hilland - any info?

Hello everyone

Whilst browsing the NEWMP website, I came across a J Hilland listed on the 1939-1945 memorial at the Garden of Remembrance in Burnhope, County Durham.

The memorial lists him as 'RAF', but the Book of Remembrance in the local Church of St. John the Evangelist lists him as an Aircraftman.

He is not on the CWGC site, and Google doesn't turn up anything. I couldn't find anything in the Flight archive either.

I thought perhaps the memorial may have spelled the surname incorrectly (wouldn't be the first time, perhaps Holland, Hillard etc), but FreeBMD has a load of Hillands registered at Lanchester, about a mile from Burnhope. There are four that might tie in:

James W Hilland, registered March 1919
    Joseph Hilland, registered March 1921
    John Hilland, registered December 1925
    Joseph C Hilland, registered June 1927

There's a Joseph Hilland listed under the deaths, registered in Durham Central, June 1943, aged 22, which ties in.

Not much to go on, but has anyone any further information on A/C Hilland?

Regards

Simon

Thanks

AIR78 files on the TNA list just two Joseph HILLANDS

Joseph HILLAND 1075448
    Joseph HILLAND buggered if I can properly make out the number! looks like ?35484 where the first digit looks very much like a 3 or a 5 or a 9, but the shape of the key stroke is a little disctinct from either! might be a six also.
    935454 <this is most likely

Other J Hillands are:
    James Charles HILAND 1086763
    and thats all

You would probably be best served getting his death cert, he probbaly died of natural causes having left the RAF due to that illness. Or maybe he is missed out?

Could it be a big pile of typos?

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1814959/
    AC1 Joseph R L Hillam, parents from New Seahope, Durham
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 8th August 2013 at 15:53.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Many thanks for the reply Dennis, that's very helpful.

I think it is Hilland, as it would be too much of a co-incidence to have such a lot of Hillands registered in Lanchester around that time (there were 21 Hilland births registered there between 1910 and 1930).

I'll see about ordering a copy of Joseph Hilland's 1943 death cert - he looks a very likely candidate.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

I've just received a copy of the death certificate of Joseph Hilland, aged 22, of Greenwood Avenue, Burnhope, who died of toxaemia and pulmonary tuberculosis on June 23rd 1943. He is listed as a grocer's assistant, no mention of the RAF at all.

He died in the strangely named Jaw Blades Cottage (named after a pit in the village of Burnhope), and the death certificate is registered in the Lanchester sub-district of Durham Central.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 2nd September 2013 at 14:57. Reason: added date