Hawker Audax Mk.I K7487, 8 FTS, RAF Montrose: Written off (destroyed) 30/7/37 when stalled & hit trees recovering from spin over Montrose, Angus.


Herbert Laurence Price 705551

Harold Hamlyn Burnell (39299) Canada

Full Story

Published: Friday 06 August 1937
Newspaper: Montrose Standard


Mens Lucky Escape

Acting Pilot-OSeer H. L. Price and Pilot- Officer H. H. Burnell, No. $ Flying Training Sehool, Montrose, had a narrow escape from serious injury when their 'plane crashed near Monikie at the end of last week. The mishap took place in a wood near the North Lodge of the Dundee Town Council's Waterworks, the 'plane crashing its way through the tree tops and falling at the base of a tree. The force of the impact tilted the tail into the air, and the 'plane came to rest in an almost vertical position, resting against the broken tree trunk, halt-hidden amongst branches and foliage. Quite near the wood the members of the 3rd Dundee (Y.M.C.A.) Company, Boys' Brigade, were in camp, and along with a police officer and others in the vicinity hurried to the spot. On arrival they found the two men picking themselves up some 12 feet away trom the machine, out of which they had been thrown. A.P.O. Price, the pilot, suffered bruises to his face and right shoulders, while his passenger P.O. Burnell, escaped with a leg injury.


The 3td Company captain, Lt David .L Cunningham, 56 Nesbitt Street, Dundee,and Staff-Sergeant R. D. Crichton immediately rendered first-aid. Staff-Sergeant Crichton, a Dundee Corporation gas department employee, actually had his ambulance equipment with him when he saw the 'plane crash. He was on his way to attend a toot injury suffered by one of the campers. After the injuries had been temporarily dressed, A.P.O. Price taken by the police to Monifieth where he was seen by Dr Richardson. Within an hour of the crash, however, lie was back on the scene. The crowd of spectators which had gathered by this time saw two cool and unruffled pilots surveying their smashed 'plane. Tributes were paid to the BB ambulance work. Well, done, said a police sergeant, referring to the dressings which had been applied. The path which the big biplane had cut through the trees could be clearly seen, and tree tops over six feet in length were strewn on the ground. The wings had been smashed as the 'plane came against the trees. In response to a telephone call from Monikie, a party of R.A.F. men and a service ambulance came by road from Montrose. Meantime, however, a squadron of machines had appeared and circles round the wood as it in a search. The 'plane was bright yellow, but whether the searchers could see it amongst the trees was uncertain. Before joining the R.A.F., P.O. Burnell experienced three air crashes in Canada. On one occasion his machine lodged in a tree top, and the occupants had to climb down to ground level. The wrecked plane was later removed by Montrose R.A.F. men.