Thread: 987916 Sgt Joseph Mercer RAFVR.

Thanks

Default 987916 Sgt Joseph Mercer RAFVR.

Hello,

Simple request. Before I go to the trouble, and expense of purchasing a copy, would any member have a copy of the following book?

Remembering Their Sacrifice in the Second World War: The War Dead of North Down and Ards.
    Niblock,Barry,
    ?????:Colourpoint Books,???

I am particularly interested in the entry for the following airman who is listed in the Bangor and District section:

987916 Sgt Joseph MERCER RAFVR + 24-2-1942 - No.62 Sqn - Commemorated on the Singapore Memorial.

I already have the CWGC, RAFComms and https://www.barryniblock.co.uk/world-war-two-war-dead/ details. At the moment, just require details of the entry in the above book.

Thanks,

Col.

Thanks

Col

Not sure what info you're looking for, but he was reported missing in both the Belfast Telegraph and the Northern Whig newspapers in March 1942. The Belfast Telegraph of March 6th 1942 has the following:

MISSING BANGOR AIRMAN
    Serg.-Gunner Mercer
    Official information has been received by Mrs. Mercer, 19 Manse Road, Bangor, that her son, Sergt.-Wireless Gunner Joseph Mercer, is reported missing from operations.
    Sergeant Mercer served his apprenticeship with Messrs. S. M. Claney & Co., estate agents, Bangor, and was afterwards on the staff of Mr. Alexander Devon, estate agent, Belfast. He took the F.A.I. with honours.
    Educated at Bangor Central P.E. School and Bangor Technical School, he was an enthusiastic member of the Boys' Brigade connected with Hamilton Road Methodist Church. He joined the R.A.F. some 18 months ago.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon,

Thanks for that. All I require at the moment is the extract from the quoted book. Incidentally, Mercer was a Fellow of the Auctioneers' Institute (F.A.I.). I neglected to mention in my previous post, that I also have the information that is available on Mercer in Bloody Shambles2/Shores et al/p.91.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 7th September 2019 at 11:06.