Thread: High Altitude Flight

Thanks

Default High Altitude Flight

I think the High Altitude Flight formed at Boscombe Down in 1941, but I'd appreciate confirmation.

TIA

Brian

Thanks

I'd read that it was RAF Northolt in 1942, but now can't remember where I'd read it

A

Eddie Fell Guest

According to Sturtivant there was more than one. One with A&AEE was formed 30/12/40 at Boscombe Down within A&AEE. It was largely disbanded into the new A FlightA&AEE 1/10/44

Also one at Northolt formed 8/42 to intercept Ju86 raider

Plus one at Bari

Given your interest, A&AEE is favourite as this included the met aspects of high altitude flying

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Thanks Eddie, it was the A&AEE one I was after. Much obliged. Thank you as well Amrit.

Brian

Thanks

The unit formed at Northolt was Special Spitfire Flight. Pilot of the unit, Emmanuel Galitzine made famous himself, having a highest fight of WWII.
    Another unit to fight Ju 86s was formed at Alexandria, Egypt, but I do not know, what was the official name.
    BTW
    Does anyone have any contact details to Galitzine's family?

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Brian:
    The second book in Tim Mason's series on Boscombe Down covered this unit as I recall.
    Regards:
    Robert

Thanks

Thank you all gentlemen. My reason for posting the question is that I have a copy of Peter Cooper's "Farnborough: 100 Years of British Aviation". It has a chapter on the Meteorological Research Flight, and the preamble seems largely a figment of the writer's imagination - at least he doesn't give any credits or references, so he has to take the blame. I know from my own, in depth researches, that much of what is written is in error, including a reference to the HAF being formed in August 1942. I was pretty sure it was earlier - hence my query.

Peter is a member of the Farnborough Air Sciences Trust (FAST) which maintains a fascinating museum on the edge of the airfield, and I've become friendly with the librarian. I intend advising him of the errors, but needed to be sure of my facts first.

Incidentally, and outside the time frame of this forum by a considerable number of years, FAST has built a replica of Cody's Flyer to mark the 100th anniversary of his first powered flight in the UK. ww.codyflyerproject.com may be of interest.

Brian

Thanks

Default Galitzine family contact information

Hi Franek

In regard to your query on contact details for the Galitzine family, a branch of the family currently owns/runs a wine business in London. See http://www.galitzinewines.co.uk/index.html which states, "Gregoriy's own family history is an interesting one. Educated at Milton Abbey, he is a third generation émigré. His grandfather was the Tsar's military attaché to Emperor Hirohito in Japan at the time of the 1917 revolution and had to flee Russia because of it, settling in England.". There is an e-mail address on the website, which may be a way of getting into contact with the family.

Galitzine also flew with 41 Squadron from May to December 1943, during which time he claimed a probable FW190.

Hope this helps
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Well, it is worth to try, is not it? I know Emmanuel started to write his memoirs, but how advanced they were at the time of his passing?

Thanks

Hi Franek

I wasn't aware he was writing memoirs, but his logbook would certainly interest me. I have a lot of holes in his career path that I would like to fill:

39 Sqdn. FiAF, date? Mar. 1940-date? Feb. 1941
    No.? OTU, location?, date? 1941
    504 Sqdn., Ballyhalbert, 19 Nov. 1941
    222 Sqdn., North Weald, 12 Mar. 1942
    72 Sqdn., location?, date? (no evidence in ORB 1942-1943)
    611 Sqdn., Drem, date? Apr. 1942 (no nearer information available in ORB)
    SS Flt. (A/C?), Northolt, date? 1942
    124 Sqdn., North Weald, date? ca. Feb. 1943 (first mentioned in ORB 4 Feb. 1943)
    308 Sqdn., Church Fenton, date? ca. April/May 1943
    41 Sqdn., Hawkinge, 14 May 1943
    83 GCU & PA to AVM Sir W. Dickson (CO 83 Grp.), date? Dec. 1943

Yes, please give the family a try. You never know what information they may have.

Cheers
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm