Thread: Sgt Richard Henry 'Harry' Hardy #580825 later Sqn Ldr #48418 2 Bale Outs '39 and 40

Thanks

Default Sgt Richard Henry 'Harry' Hardy #580825 later Sqn Ldr #48418 2 Bale Outs '39 and 40

All
    This airman is on my pre May 1940 Caterpillar List because he bailed out Wellington N2875 Coded 'F' 115 Sqn on 24 Dec 1939. It had been hit by naval A/A fire 2.15 p.m. during an armed reconnaissance off the Norwegian coast. The radio, hydraulics and bomb doors were all damaged and one wheel was jammed in the up position. He landed at Orfordness, East Anglia

N2875 for this incident was identified by Martin Gleeson

In an article in Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald - Friday 16 January 1942 on his DFM award (
    Attack on Gneisenau and Scharnhorst at French naval base at Brest. Daylight Dec 18th 1941)
    it says his second bale out was over England on 24th Dec "1940" sic when he landed in a tree but escaped with a shaking" - This is this incident with the year wrong and was first 1st bale out

For the 'first' incident was

""The first time (sic) was over France, before the capitulation when he landed among some French villagers who appeared at first rather hostile until they were convinced he belonged to the RAF. Then literally he could have had the village to himself. "

They have the incidents around the wrong way. Can anyone suggest a ID for this based on the date .?

I know it was before Oct 1940 and the not says 'over France, before the capitulation' so maybe between May 1940 and June 1940 - I assume he was still with 115 Sqn at the time

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Paul

"24th December 1939 sweep Danish coast a/c hit baled out thus earning the Caterpillar club badge. The log also shows that he again baled out on the 15th May following a raid on the Rhur [sic]."

See: https://www.cultmancollectables.com/...roduct_id=2049

and: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...dent-Late-1939

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon great find thanks

Just need the 15 May 1940 details now

Thanks

115 Sqn Orb

Wellington 1C

R3152 Coded J
    F/O Scott
    P/O Moore
    Sgt Hardy
    AC Crocker
    AC Ordford

15 May 1940 - Target Duisberg

F/O Scott's crew baled out when fuel ran out and he and P/O Moore landed the aircraft near
    BIYREY? -- Hard to Read on Scan on National Archives

Would appreciate help with rest of crew ID

AC Ordford is probably

Orford Stanley Arthur - W.Op./Air Gnr. Sgt - Service No 630680.

Age: RAF. Son of Henry William and Harriet Platten. Husband of Eileen Iris Muriel Platten, ...

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Paul,

I posted a reply very early this morning but it seems I pressed the wrong button - or forgot to !
    The location is Barbey in the Seine-et-Marne department. Both crew and aircraft were back at base within a day or two. The full crew flew operationally again three nights later.
    The rest of the crew were;
    39688 Flying Officer Eric Gresham Scott
    623318 AC2 Ronald George Crocker
    630680 AC2 Stanley Arthur Orford
    These three featured in AIR 81/124 casualty file, relating to an incident on 11/12 April 1940 and that is where I found their names. Orford and Crocker were 'AC2' in April so probably were the same a month later. The ORB only has them as 'AC'.
    There was a sixth crew member, who also baled out. He was;
    37973 Flying Officer Desmond Felix Laslett. He appears to have been along for the experience before becoming captain of his own crew. Six days later he was lost as captain with a different crew ! Fortunately all survived as POWs.
    I don't have time right now to search for Moore. Hopefully someone can add his details.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Martin

Thanks

Just need Moore now, wish 115 Sqn would have put initials down!

Paul