Thread: 1.000 lb LD bomb

Thanks

Default 1.000 lb LD bomb

Hi,

the ORB of 214 Squadron concerning the raid of 11./12.6.1943 lists the bombs the aircraft had been loaded with. Besides others, the following are mentioned:

1.000 LD 845.37 Mk. IV A and others ending with the letters B, D and E

So it seems that these were long delay bombs. My questions is, what the other numbers are relating too. 37 could stand for tail pistol No. 37?!

Does anybody know more about this?

Thanks.

Best wishes.

Marcel

Thanks

Could it be the no. 845 nose fuse combined with a no. 37 tail pistol?

Thanks

Marcel: My "go to" reference for ORB bomb loads and arming devices is "British Explosive Ordnance" by the "Department of the Navy-Naval Ordnance Systems Command". It is a US Document. I have a PDF of it. It is very large and unfortunately cannot be searched. I can no longer find an easy download on the internet but this seems to be it here.

https://archive.org/details/OP1665Br...losiveOrdnance

The ORB reference is somewhat cryptic. If it is the No. 37 Tail pistol, the document I reference indicates it is a chemical long delay from 6 to 144 hours. Delays are obtained by the action of acetone on celluloid, with alternative delays obtained by the varying the number of cellulose discs. The delays intended for this pistol are indicated by a letter after the number and according to this document No. 37A is a 12 hour delay.

The Number 845 nose fuse is interesting. The “BEO” document indicates this fuse is “armed” when the vanes are “up” or broken off after impact, AND, it is typically used with the No. 37 fuse. The fusing involves an electric circuit comprising a dry cell, an igniter bridge, a sensitive mercury switch, and a delay arming switch. The vanes arm the bomb upon release and 20 seconds after impact, the process for the firing circuit is started. If the bomb is subsequently moved, the mercury flows completing the circuit and the bomb explodes. Nasty for the disposal squads!

Was this the operation to Dusseldorf?

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 11th September 2019 at 00:27.

Thanks

Hi Jim,

thanks for the links and explanations. I come to the same conclusions as you. It has been a construction with both tail pistol and nose fuze. "Nasty" as you wrote, correct.

Yes, it was the raid against Düsseldorf in which about 783 a/c took part, 38 a/c missing and about 1.200 victims.

Marcel