Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: David Llewellyn Morgan 928303 India

Thanks

Default David Llewellyn Morgan 928303 India

Hi

I'm new to this forum so please bare with me.

Im searching for my Grandfathers RAF Career and I'm currently waiting for his service record to come back. According to his release book he was RAFVR Gunner V in far east and SEAC between 08/12/41 to 10/09/45. He has the Pacific star with a Burma pin medal amongst others. We have a letter to my Grandmother stating he was a LAC based at RAF Station Jessore India in Nov 42 and a Christmas greetings card stating he was a CPL at RAF India Command but there is no date on this one. We have photos that my grandfather took between these dates and he has written on the back of them. We believe that he was in Jessore & Karachi in 1942, Calcutta, Bombay, Feni & Chittagong in 1943 & Secunderabad & Hyderabad in 1944. We also have official photos with Indian Air Force, General Service Training Courses & Indian Air Force, W/O's & N.C.O's Administrative & Disciplinary School on which I have tried searching for but have come up with nothing.

Any help or pointers would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Stacey

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Staceymoggy25 For This Useful Post:

Jagan (17th September 2019)

Thanks

It seems that the RAF maintained a "Non-Technical Training Centre" in Secunderabad . It came under purview of RAF Secunderabad.

The NTTC was formed by combining the Physical Training Center (Lahore), the Tech and Discip School, the Fire Fighting School, Code and Cypher school, 1 and 2 Gas School, School of IAF Police and Equpment School.

This NTTC undertook a "Technical and Discipline Course (JNCOs)" - which was used to be undertaken by an Tech and Discipline School. This looks like the WO/NCO Admin and Disciplinary School to me in later days..

The NTTC has an ORB in NA https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C7160801
    It got renamed to 3 Ground Training School just before independence.

Incidentally the NTTC was housed in the "Errum Manzil" building in current city of Hyderabad - which is my hometown. I cant count the number of days i had passed by that building - and had gone to the place atleast a couple of times. Photos here https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1920&bih=937

Thanks

Jagan.

Thank you so much for what you have done. This has given me something to go on whilst waiting for service record to come back. No doubt there will be lots more questions for me to ask once I receive the service record.

Thank you once again
    Stacey
    Last edited by Staceymoggy25; 18th September 2019 at 09:47.

Thanks

Stacey, A Group V trade seems to be considered an unskilled trade, i.e. not a fitter or mechanic etc. So as a Gunner he was, perhaps, in the Ground Defence role. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Thanks Terry. I seem to be going around in circles at the moment. I'm waiting for his service record to come back (it's been 4 weeks so far) as I don't really know where he was really stationed, just areas at the moment from his photos that he took while in India. Hopefully it wont be too much longer then I can start to do some proper digging. I do know that before he was in India he was in Singapore and had to be evacuated by boat when the Japanese started to invade. It's all very interesting, I just wish that I started this before he passed away.

Thanks, Stacey

Thanks

I think Terry may be right about the "gunner" being a GROUND Gunner, NOT an Air Gunner. This was a real trade in the RAF, brought into existence in the UK in 1940 when invasion and paratroopers were expected at any day; they even had their own trade badge, which was a rarity in the RAF, a stylised "double G" badges (oval shaped I think) worn on the upper arm. Where I live, in New Zealand, we had quite a number of RAF airmen "washed up" here after the fall of Singapore, most of them technical, including Group I tradesmen. One of these men was a Ground Gunner, but as the RNZAF did not have an equivalent trade, they really did not know what to do with him. (The interim arrangement with London was that theses displaced airmen should be used by the RNZAF to their best advantage until arrangements could be made to ship them to another theatre of war, which could also include the United Kingdom.) I do not know when the RAF trade of Ground Gunner was declared obsolete - it may even have persisted till the end of hostilities (1945).
    David D

Thanks

Stacey, One day in Singapore between 8 Dec 41 and 15 Feb 42 would have created his eligibility for the 39-45 and Pacific Stars. At some point subsequent to 8 Dec 41 he has served within the Burma theatre to create the eligibility for the Burma clasp. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Thanks Terry, that's what we thought. Thank you for confirming it for me.

I'm hoping I can create a proper timeline once I have the records back.

Stacey

Thanks

Hi David

Thank you for the information. Hopefully all will be revealed once I've received my Grandfathers record back. I'm sure I will have lots more questions then.

Thanks again for your help
    Stacey

Thanks

Hi All

Me again sorry!!

I received my grandfathers service records yesterday, but they don't make sense. I know he was in Singapore but it doesn't mention anything on the records to confirm this?
    Is there anyway I could post the records on here for someone, if they wouldn't mind, maybe have a look at them and maybe point me in the right direction please.

Thanks Stacey