Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: David Llewellyn Morgan 928303 India

Thanks

Hi Stacey can you email it to me - sent you a message via my FB page with my id. I will share the images here so that we can all take a shot at transcribing it.

regards

Jagan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jagan For This Useful Post:

Staceymoggy25 (24th September 2019)

Thanks

Hi Jagan

I have just emailed the records to you. Thank you again for all your help.

Stacey

Thanks

I have uploaded the images here
    http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries/members/DL-Morgan-928303/

From the second image of postings.

RAF Stn Drigh Road (now in Karachi, Pakistan) - 21 March 42
    RAF Stn Jessore (now in Bangladesh) - 16 May 42
    166 Wing - (Chittagong area - now in Bangladesh) 11 Nov 1942
    British Military Hospital - Shillong (Meghalaya, India) (May 43)
    RAF Regiment Depot - Secunderabad (June 43)
    68 Indian General Hospital ( April 43)
    HQ Bombay( August 45?)

Doesnt show service in Singapore . He may have headed for Singapore in December 1941, but since it had fallen, must have landed in India by March.

Thanks

Hi Jagan

Thank you for that and for your patience.

What I don't understand is if he wasn't in Singapore, then how did he qualify for the Pacific Star? He told my father that he was in Singapore and had to be evacuated due to the Japanese invading and left on a boat which was then torpedoed by the Japanese.

Also another question I have is that I have a letter that my grandfather wrote to my grandmother, dated 11/11/42 from RAF station in Jessore, saying that he had been in hospital with malaria. According to his records he was hospitalised 13/05/43 and the time before that was in 02/04/41 in Ely, England so the dates don't add up.

Could it be that his records are not complete?

Thanks in advance Stacey
    Last edited by Staceymoggy25; 25th September 2019 at 09:06.

Thanks

Hi Stacey,

I think if there could be a possibility that he was on way to Singapore prior to Feb 1942 .. And yes the records can be spotty - so there is always a possibility that a lot is not recorded

Thanks

Hi Jagan, thank you for replying. Could you possibly advise me where I can start to do a bit of digging now as to what he possible did during his time in India I.e. where in Burma he fought etc?

stacey
    Last edited by Staceymoggy25; 26th September 2019 at 07:16.

Thanks

Hi me again,
    I trying to pick my way through the records and was wondering it someone could tell me what D.T.I. stands for in the trade section.
    It states: 31/12/43, Rank: CPL, Character: VG, Trade: D.T.I.

Also from the time it states he went to the far east 04/12/41 then 166 wing 11/11/42 - can I take it that he wasn't assigned to a group, wing, squadron etc and was just being held waiting to be assigned at Drigh Road & Jessore?

Thanks in advance, Stacey
    Last edited by Staceymoggy25; 27th September 2019 at 14:07.

Thanks

can I take it that he wasn't assigned to a group, wing, squadron etc and was just being held waiting to be assigned at Drigh Road & Jessore?
    i woudnt assume so.. though posted to a large station like Drigh Road he may end up being posted to any of the lodger units i would think. nothing short of examining the ORBs of the various units would reveal that much. Drigh road had half a dozen or more RAF non flying establishments - that always were there - one can end up being posted to them I guess.

where in Burma he fought etc?
    I think stationed in Jessore and 166 wing may indicate his closest service to the front. The ORBs would be a good start.

it will be hit or miss to find the mention about an airmen (From ground trades) in an ORB - so its not the best return on time and investment - but when you do stumble across a 'hit' its priceless.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jagan View Post
    i woudnt assume so.. though posted to a large station like Drigh Road he may end up being posted to any of the lodger units i would think. nothing short of examining the ORBs of the various units would reveal that much. Drigh road had half a dozen or more RAF non flying establishments - that always were there - one can end up being posted to them I guess.

I think stationed in Jessore and 166 wing may indicate his closest service to the front. The ORBs would be a good start.

it will be hit or miss to find the mention about an airmen (From ground trades) in an ORB - so its not the best return on time and investment - but when you do stumble across a 'hit' its priceless.

Thank you for replying Jagan.

Thanks

Stacey, I note that your grandfather's file shows the 39/43 Star (which became the 39/45 Star) was awarded in 1944. Beyond that everything else in regard to medallic recognition appears to be supposition or based on the medals you have. You can apply, at no cost, to the Ministry of Defence for confirmation of his medallic entitlement. This is the form to use, and be prepared for a wait: https://assets.publishing.service.go...MODMO_0001.pdf Regards, Terry