Thread: Sgt H Souci 1685986

Thanks

Default Sgt H Souci 1685986

I am looking for any information on Sgt H Souci 1685986. He was the only survivor of 44 Squadron Lancaster LM278 shot down over Königsberg 26/27 August 1944. POW records give nothing more than his name. My first record of him is arriving from Cape Town mid 1942 with around 50 other "RAF recruits", their last place of permanent residence given as Mauritius. I then have him in 1947 still in the RAF heading to Mauritius where he stayed for just over two years before returning to Dover at the end of 1949.

I thought with such an unusual name he would be easy to find. On one of the passenger lists his nationality is given as British but on the crew photo it would appear that he may have had roots in Mauritius or somewhere in that region.

Hope someone can shed a bit of light on this

TIA

Mike

Thanks

Mike

Air 78/148 has SOUCI Henry 1685986.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Mike/Simon,
    Henri/Henry Souci
    b. 1917.
    RAFVR Enlisted Number 1685986 was in Block 1670001-1692488 issued at Padgate between 1 Nov 1941 – 30 May 1942(?), possibly around end Mar 42.
    23 Jun 1947 Sgt H Souci, RAF(?) deps Soton for Mauritius aboard SS Umtata.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello again

Ancestry.co.uk has a Henry Souci, b. September 16th 1916, Rose Hill, in the German Registration of Foreigners and German Persecutees (Medical and health authorities’ records concerning foreigners) in a German hospital in the Obertaunus district of Oberursel, admitted September 3rd 1944.

The lists seems to be injured British and Canadian servicemen. It's not a set of records I've come across before. For example, just above him is an Alexander Josef [sic] Sochowksi, admitted July 29th 1943.
    See: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/51587

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thanks to both. Just to confirm that he was still with the RAF on his post war trip to Mauritius and is listed as a sergeant in the "armed forces". He is accompanied by a W/O J R Dauguet (interesting name). Oddly on his return voyage he lists his occupation as "student".

Many thanks Simon for the link on Ancestry - I had looked on Ancestry but not come across that list. It is interesting that he gives his place of birth as "Rose Hill" - there are several of these including one in Mauritius. Scrolling through there are lists for Americans, Italians and everything else! There is still a clinic at Hohe Mark outside Oberursel (Obertaunus is the Kries or administrative district).

I shall keep digging

Mike
    Last edited by lancasterlm342; 21st September 2019 at 13:21.

Thanks

From TNA AIR 78/42/4 Image 93 Bottom Right.
    Julian Rene Eugene Dauguet
    Mid-Feb 1942(?) Enlisted RAFVR 1681255 Padgate (note Souci’s number is 1685986).
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Thank you for that, Peter - this could indicate a long term link. I suppose Dauguet could be Canadian though I am not so sure. There are no birth, marriage or death records for either Dauguet or Souci.

Souci as a surname appears to be very rare - it means "care" in French/Creole. It is more common as a surname as San(s)-Souci meaning without a care.

There is also a place in Mauritius known as Sans Souci.

I find it a little curious. Any other ideas?

Mike

Thanks

Hello All,
    I was looking for something entirely different in the LG when I came across what I thought was a familiar number. It was 1681261!! I checked a few more numbers in sequence and found the following (all with French sounding names!!). They were Cmd at various times, and in various flying ranks, but they ALL Enlisted at the same time at Padgate, and in the same Number Block! I haven’t taken the sequence any further, so I don’t know if there any more! What it means I don’t know, but it is strange!

27 May 1943 1681261 Sgt Philippe Emmanuel CAMILLE Cmd Plt Off(p) RAFVR (155127), GD Branch.
    3 Nov 1942 1681262 LAC France Louis FARLA Cmd Plt Off RAFVR (132184), GD Branch.
    4 Nov 1944 1681263 Flt Sgt Villiers Gabriel BOULOUX Cmd Plt Off(p) RAFVR (189899), GD Branch.
    3 Aug 1944 1681265 Sgt Pierre Anne Gerard YTHIER Cmd Plt Off(p) RAFVR (184182), GD Branch.

HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Having revisited the Ancestry page for Henry Souci's arrival into Liverpool on 19th May 1942 I looked on the previous page and found that Souci and his 50 or so fellow RAF recruits are listed as "Mauritian". I should have looked there sooner! The names are a mix of French, British, Indian and a few others. Their address in England is given as "Crown Agents - Millbank". I guess that is another 50 of the 168xxxx block.

Mike