Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A long shot - a Spitfire pilot killed in Northumberland being a "ghost" after WWII

Thanks

Default Re: A long shot - a Spitfire pilot killed in Northumberland being a "ghost" after WWI

Just came across this old thread. Whilst the story of the post war excavation is correct, I have never heard of a Ghost story relating to this incident. I have however heard a story of a Ghost on the moors in relation to Spitfire R7202, referenced in the thread here:

"MOUREAUX, Henri René Eugene, Spitfire R7202 of 57 OTU, flew into high ground at Darden Rigg, Rothbury, February 3rd 1943. His body was not recovered for 5 days after a shepherd found the wreck. He was originally buried at Chevington, but his remains were returned to France after the war."

The story I have heard relates to a young couple, who were either staying, or living at Chartners Farm, just below Darden Rigg. The wife was doing some dishes when she felt cold and turned around to find a young looking man stood within the doorway of the kitchen wearing flying gear who stated he wanted to go home, then turned around, walked out of the kitchen and promptly vanished. I'm not sure when this occurred but I believe it stems back to the 1950's.

Hope this helps.

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Default Re: A long shot - a Spitfire pilot killed in Northumberland being a "ghost" after WWI

Hi all,

@ jimroutledge - I have searched the CWGC for airmen killed in the period of winter 1944 - spring 1945 who are buried or commemorated in Glasgow but unfortunately no one fits to the story.

@ JimCorbett1977 - thank you for the additional story.

So far it seems to me there might be mixture of several ghost stories and I think it will be impossible to identify the pilot from my story. This story has been written may years after the WWII so it may be very inaccurate.

Many thanks to everybody for their effort

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel,

I'll look into McGregor for you. I have some files relating to it and I am pretty sure his body did head to Scotland for burial so the account of the coffin going on train is likely true, in fact I'm sure there is an account of this in the files I have. There was some communication from the family shocked that they had already carried out a burial, only to find years later that his remains were still in the aircraft.

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Hi Pavel,

I have checked the records I hold and the family of McGregor were told the news of the rediscovery of his remains on 1st August 1952. The family were from Larkhall, Lanarkshire. His remains were discovered on 30th July 1952 following an excavation of the site.

McGregor already had a grave so the family were rightly concerned at this distressing news. His remains were identified at the time by his identity discs.

The story made the Northumberland Gazette on 1st August 1952 but the pilot is not identified. I am unsure whether or not they followed up the story with more information. His remains were taken to RAF Acklington and then later transferred to Larkhall via Edinburgh. I will check the Acklington records for more information.
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Jim, thank you a lot! It seems to me that this would be really the "right" ghost. And only post-war half of the story I have been told would be correct, the other one from the war, that he was lost in 1944-45 when my man was with 57 OTU and they were searching for him not...

Anyway thank you once more for your effort.

Pavel

Thanks

Hi Pavel,

I have an interest in 57 OTU. What is the name of the Pilot you are referencing. I may have more details.

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Hi Jim, email sent.

Pavel