Thread: 420 RSU (Repair and salvage unit)

Thanks

Default 420 RSU (Repair and salvage unit)

Hello,
    Could anyone tell me how I find out anything about my dads unit 420 RSU during WWII. I was born quite late in his life and he died of old age before I was able to gain any info on what he did during the war.

I would love to know where they went and what they did. I know he was in Humbeek in Belgium for a while before going into Germany. Thats it though. I do not know much else at all.

Toby Ballard

Thanks

hello,

The Operations Record Book of No. 420 RSU is in AIR 29/811 in the National Archives, Kew, London :
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-1893193&CATLN=7&Highlight=&accessmethod=4

"Flying Training and support unit since 1912" by Ray Sturtivant & John Hamlin, Air-Britain, doesn't show Humbeek in Belgium in the list of stations. It was in Lille-Nord (not far from where I live) in september 1944, in november-december 1944 in Grimbergen, then Woensdrecht, Deurne, Gilze-Rijen, Quackenbruck, Fassberg.

They handled Spitfires and Tempests.

A friend did a few digital pictures of the ORB for september 1944. They are low resolution pix, but if you'd like to have them, just e-mail me (my contact details are in my profile). That would give you a sample of the content of the unit's ORB.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss
    Thats right. Humbeek is the village right next to Grimbergen. Sorry I should have said that. The air base was at Grimbergen. I'm going there this weekend on my way to a Vintage car rally. Wow I cant believe how quick someone has been able to help me. Yes I do remember my dad telling me about Spitfires and Tempests now you mention it. I have a lot of photographs of places that 420 RSU went to but no writing on them. I also have a photo of them all in front of a German bus they had stolen. Lots of photos but no words to go with them and thats so frustrating.

I will try and look at the web page you have given me. How do i look at your profile. I would like the photos yes please.

Thanks mate.

Thanks

hello,

E-mail received and digital pictures sent in return. Sorry for the resolution but you should be able to decipher them. That will at least give you a sample of the unit's activity. I was interested in September 1944 because the unit was based in Lille-Nord.

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss
    Can you send me the photos of the ORB also.
    420 RSU repaired several 127 Squadron aircraft.

Toby
    I have sent you an email.

Regards
    Andy

Thanks

hello Andy,

Will do, but won't switch on my home computer tonight, because my group is offering a display this week-end, and we're setting it up tonight and I'll sleep in the display hall to mount the guard.
    Saturday morning may be. Please send me an e-mail so I can send the pages to your address. Or ask Toby to send them directly to you.

Joss

Thanks

Default Humbeek

Quote Originally Posted by Ballard 420 RSU View Post
    Hello,
    Could anyone tell me how I find out anything about my dads unit 420 RSU during WWII. I was born quite late in his life and he died of old age before I was able to gain any info on what he did during the war.

I would love to know where they went and what they did. I know he was in Humbeek in Belgium for a while before going into Germany. Thats it though. I do not know much else at all.

Toby Ballard
    Dear Toby Ballard,

My name is William Willems and I was born in Humbeek after the war. By coincidence I've found your thread (from 2009) and I am much excited about this.

My grandparents were living in a house with address "Dorpstraat 23, Humbeek" and also my parents since their marriage in August 1944.

At the end of 1944 also two RAF pilotes where staying in this house: Jack Hill and Paddy Shanahan from R.S.U 420

Their details:Jack HILL, L.A.C. Hill 1666443 420 RSU RAF c/o B.L.A. Address: Mr & Mrs Hill 2 Bridge Cottage, EAST BADLEIGH Devon England
    Paddy SHANAHAN, AC Shanahan 1799568 420 RSU RAF c/o B.L.A. Address: Paddy Shanahan KILMURRY KILWORTH CO CORK Eire

I have a picture from them and also a few letters
    I could send you a scan from everything if you so wish
    I hope this is of some help

Kind regards,
    William

Thanks

Default RSU 420 location Humbeek

Quote Originally Posted by Ballard 420 RSU View Post
    Hello,

Toby Ballard
    Hello Toby Ballard,

My grandparents and parents had 2 guests from RAF 420 RSU at the end of 1944 in their house in Humbeek where I was born as well.
    I have some pictures and letters from them. I could send you copies of these if you so wish
    Kind regards,
    William Willems