Thread: FH Belcher 403 Sqn

Thanks

Default FH Belcher 403 Sqn

Hello,

This abovementioned pilot is known to have been shot down and captured while serving with 403. I was however unable to find the date he became a PoW.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Phil

Thanks

Phil

The 403 Sqn ORB can be found here: http://rcafassociation.ca/heritage/h...42/april-1942/

It states on Monday April 6th 1942 that 'W/O Belcher was away today for his overseas posting. Nice chap, Belcher, quite and unassuming, he does his work well; we wish him the best of luck.'

The Brandon Daily Sun of July 16th 1942 reported 'Missing after air operations...Warrant Officer Francis Hugh Belcher.'

Regards

Simon

Thanks

I have the date as July 6th 1942 - Spitfire BR325.

John Engelsted

Thanks

Hello,

I suspect this might be your man:

Monday, 6 July 1942
    No.601 Sqn
    Spitfire V BR325

Left 1255, shot down by Bf 109s near El Daba.

W/O Belcher PoW.

See:
    A History of the Mediterranean Air War 1940-1945 - Vol.2 - North African Desert - 2012.
    pp.February 1942 - March 1943.
    Shores,Christopher et al.
    London:Grub Street,2012.
    pp.258-260.

NB, The index (p.699), names Belcher as, Belcher, C. L., but he was KIA with No.94 Sqn on 15 February, 1942!

Col.

Thanks

Hi Phil,

If you are looking for additional information on Francis Hugh Belcher, I am his granddaughter. I can attest to the accuracy of what others have posted here (I even have his RCAF Pilot's Flying Log Book, with the entry "failed to return" on July 6, 1942).

My grandfather was indeed a nice, quiet, and unassuming man and it's lovely to read this quote about him for the first time (thank you, Simon).

I am curious as to why you've requested this information about my grandfather (I came across this forum quite accidentally, having recently started a job with Veterans Affairs Canada and wanting find additional records online about my family's service). I see you are a writer, so assume you are working on a book. If additional detail would be helpful, my family keeps everything and we have both personal and official documents outlining my grandfather's RCAF service, capture, and conditions in the POW camps he spent time in as of July 6, 1942.

Please just message me if interested.

Cheers,

Amy