Thread: Bomber Command crew debriefs upon diversion

Thanks

Default Bomber Command crew debriefs upon diversion

In his audio memoirs, dad records that he was debriefed at Bourn, upon diversion to that airfield after the raid to Dortmund, October 6, 1944. Can anyone confirm if this was a normal procedure? Also, I have been informed by a very knowledgeable researcher, that he has never been able to find any crew debriefing records from 6 Group crews. So Iím curious: has any one seen any Bomber Command crew debrief records by intelligence officers? If so how detailed are these records?

Jim

Thanks

Hi Jim,

1. yes it was common practice that the crew was debriefed at the other than home station when they were diversed.
    2. I cannot say for the BC debriefing records as I have seen only some from 311 Sq in period 1941-42 but I suppose they may be identical - there were details about the route, enymy activity - fighers, flak, searchlights during the whole trip and over target, details about bombing - time, height, results, weather over the target, any other interesting sightings etc. Sometimes there was only name of captain with not "details not known as landed at xxx" what means the the information from debriefing of diversed crew were submitted directly from the station where they landed and the record at their home station were not updated later.

I hope it would help you alittle bit

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks Pavel

Jim