Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAF Fighter exercise „Gun post beat up“

Thanks

A little thread drift
    Just to add that in Gliding a 'Beat Up' of the launch point/caravan became known in more PC/Health'n'safety times as a 'Practice Competition Finish' :)
    Gliders usually cross the finishing line at vne and dumping water ballast on the approach.

Thanks

One of the best 'Beat Ups' I saw in the 80's was when I was working as a civvy on No2 Sqn AFZ (zimbabwe).
    We were operating Hawk T60's and one of the QFI's 'beat up' the neighbouring Hunter Sqn (1 Sqn ?) at High speed and extreme low level,as per tradition with jets - his Airbrake (Speedbrake) bay was full of toilet rolls and he 'blipped' the A/B switch over the Hunters :) - result a 'Snowstorm' of paper :).

Thanks

Regarding practice bombing of Army units, the only entry I found that specifically mentioned dropping practice bombs was 487 Sqn on 24th March 1944.

"In the afternoon the Squadron carried out formation bombing attacks with 8.5lb practice bombs (probably Bakelite breakup type) against R.A.C. tanks near Thetford." Normally reference to attacks on armoured columns is simply referred to as "practice attacks". I did come across one reference to a white powder being dropped to confirm a hit on an armoured vehicle. This powder may have been chalk but no mention of its container, however the cement bomb I referred to was actually made of asbestos cement so would crumble on impact with only a glass tube containing the smoke chemicals which would shatter on impact and contain no explosive burster charge.

The only other white powder bomb was a 9lb practice version of the 9lb AT (Anti-Tank) bomb. As the explosive version was not successful and was probably dropped from the inventory by 1944 it is unlikely that its practice version continued to be used.