Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Halifax W1245 78 Squadron FTR 11/12 Aug 1942

Thanks

Pete

I have had a response from the AHB which states he is not shown on the loss card or any records pertaining to the loss. So that suggests that the Squadron and Station ORBs are correct and explains why I can find no other mention of him.

Daz

Thanks

Thanks Daz, I wonder where his name came from ? Both Bill Chorley and the Belgians quote the name. Were 78 operating Halifax with only 6 crew ?
    cheers Pete

Thanks

Pete,

to be fair to Bill Chorley, I guess there were always going to be human errors in a work as big as his, just one of those things. As for 78 operating crews of 6, yes they did at times. The AHB have the crew as the following:

FO DA Kingston Pilot
    PO GW Macallister 2nd Pilot
    Sgt GR Griffiths WOp/AG
    Sgt P McCann Feng
    Sgt EJ Buncell AG
    Sgt RG Kendall AG

So according to the RAF Casualty records and the Loss card the crew had no navigator and no bomb aimer. I guess the 2nd pilot could have carried out the Nav role and possibly that of the BA?

Regards
    Daz

Thanks

Hello,

The ORB states Macallister was the Navigator, also the Air Force List has Macallister’s trade as Navigator. Where do the AHB and CWGC get their 2nd Pilot info from?

Thanks

Pete

the AHB got their information from the RAF Casualty List and the Loss card; I agree that the Sqn ORB shows Macallister as the Nav; I guess he could have been an Observer given that we are talking about a mid 1942 loss so he would have been capable of carrying out the duties of Bomb Aimer as well as Nav. The actual casualty file is no longer with the AHB as it has been transferred to the NA for digitisation. I too think that there is yet another error with him being classed as a 2nd Pilot, this error repeated by the CWGC. I think that I'll drop them a line.

Regards

Daz
    Last edited by 78SqnHistory; 3rd November 2019 at 08:02. Reason: predicted text error

Thanks

Default Re: Halifax W1245 78 Squadron FTR 11/12 Aug 1942

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    but in Clutton-Brock the Bomb Aimer Sergt J Stewart is simply listed as NK (Not Known) for the POW number and camp, but somewhere else I have found a reference POW No. 687, Stalag Luft 7 Barth, I dont know where that has come from. I think Stewart was wounded by gunfire from the nightfighter possibly Kendall as well.
    Pete,

Clutton-Brock's "The Long Road" has 1330546 Sgt J. Stewart, W/Op on Halifax EB147, No. 148 Squadron, lost on resupply ops to Warsaw, 5 August 1944. His "Trusty To The End - History of No. 148 (Special Duties) Squadron 1918 - 1945" described Stewart as a "30 year old Geordie". POW # is given as 681.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Very many thanks Dave
    thats appreciated
    cheers PeteS

Thanks

Hello again

Sgt. John Stewart was reported as being a P.o.W. in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle of Thursday September 28th 1944:

PRISONER
    The following has been reported a prisoner of war:
    Sgt. John Stewart, R.A.F., son of Mr. and Mrs. M. Stewart, of 127, Harriet Street, Byker. (Previously reported missing).

I'd had him pencilled in for EB147, so thanks for the confirmation Dave.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Thank you Simon, that's fascinating, a mystery solved thanks to the members !
    cheers PeteS