Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halifax W1245 78 Squadron FTR 11/12 Aug 1942

Thanks

Default Halifax W1245 78 Squadron FTR 11/12 Aug 1942

Please can anybody help me with 2 crew of this 78 Sqdn Halifax (P/O (DA Kingston was pilot) who ended up as POW's after they were shot down in Belgium by a night fighter. I have full details of the 5 men killed so I don't need info about them. It is confusing as the ORB does not even mention Stewart in the crew and details only 6 men.

I believe that R/70732 Sergt RG Kendall RCAF (Rear Gunner) was taken prisoner and I found him as POW 25646 at Stalag 344 Lamsdorf but in Clutton-Brock the Bomb Aimer Sergt J Stewart is simply listed as NK (Not Known) for the POW number and camp, but somewhere else I have found a reference POW No. 687, Stalag Luft 7 Barth, I dont know where that has come from. I think Stewart was wounded by gunfire from the nightfighter possibly Kendall as well.

I'd like to confirm the first names of both men and anything to confirm cause of loss and if they were wounded.

I have several volumes of a book called "Belgie im Oorlog" or something similar but not the volume covering Aug 1942, can anybody help me out with a scan from that please.

Any help is appreciated, thanks
    PeteS
    Last edited by PeteS; 7th October 2019 at 14:13. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Hi Pete,

Sgt. Richard Geoffrey Kendall, Regina, Saskatchewan

Deceased 100 Mile House, British Columbia 14 August 2001.

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by alieneyes; 7th October 2019 at 16:08.

Thanks

Thanks Dave,

can anybody help with Stewart please or have a copy of the section of "Belgie im Oorlog" covering Aug 42 ?

thanks PeteS

Thanks

Hi Pete,

According to Theo Boiten Nachtjagd Combat Archives they were shot down by Hptm Ludwig Bietmann of 5./NJG1 for his 4th victory at 00.54hrs at 1 1/2 km NE Mean and 1 1/2 NNE Namur. Bietmann did not survive the war being killed in air combat on 10/11 September 1942 1.5 kms from Marbaix with his victories at 7.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Thanks John.

Anybody have any clues on Stewart or the Belgian book ?

thank you PeteS

Thanks

PeteS

Sergeant J Stewart has been a puzzle to me for nearly 20 years. He was the Bomb Aimer in the crew and did survive and was taken POW. He is missing from both the Squadron and the Station ORBs for the night in question and I can only assume that this is because of a clerical error on the Squadron which was then transposed by the Station clerks. It was a bad night for 78 Squadron as there were 4 crews lost that night. Sadly the Squadron ORBs for 1942 do not give details of airmen movements e.g. postings in and out etc so I can't be specific about the date he arrived on the Squadron. I'll go through some stuff that I have which may shed some light on things.

As far as Sgt Kendall is concerned you have the right man, he is indeed Richard Geoffrey Kendall.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

Hi Daz
    Had Stewart flown with 78 Squadron prior to that night, I downloaded the Aug 1942 section of the ORB and had no earlier ops listed ?
    I was going to get the RCAF service file for Kendall because those files have wonderful material on losses giving details of other crew aboard, but I cant get hold of my researcher at the moment.
    thanks Pete

Thanks

Pete,
    My understanding is that as Kendall survived his file may not be open to the public yet. I think you need to be the NOK for deaths under 20 years ago. It maybe better looking for a MREU report for one of those killed. I will check the rest of the ORB to see what other ops Stewart flew on.

Regards
    Daz

Thanks

Hi Pete,

Checked the orb of the Squadron (AIR 27/660) and the Bomber Command Loss Card. The orb mentions for this aircraft for the mission 11/12-08-1942 only 6 crewmembers: Stewart is not mentioned. He is also not mentioned on the Bomber Command Loss Card. For the mission of 5/08/1942 and 9/08/1942 there also only 6 crewmembers mentioned, again Stewart is not mentioned.
    Are we certain that Stewart was aboard this aircraft ? Is he mentioned earlier in the ORB of 78 Squadron ?

(I don’t have a copy of the book of ‘BelgiŽ in oorlog’.)

Best regards

Luc

Thanks

Thanks Luc and Daz
    This is pretty strange. J Stewart is listed by Chorley (1942 p 179) and he was a POW, service number 1330546.
    Air 78 lists him as John.
    thanks Pete
    Last edited by PeteS; 10th October 2019 at 09:31.