Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Memorial in Bristol Canford Cemetery

Thanks

Default Special Memorial in Bristol Canford Cemetery

Special Memorial in Bristol Canford Cemetery

Air Commodore Stephen HARDY, RAF, Service Nr. unknown, died 08-04-1945, was A.D.C. to H.M. King George VI from Oct 1st, 1944.
    What caused the death of this aviator, and which circumstances led to the erection of a Special Memorial?

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

Rob,

The Times carries no less than four announcments/obituaries for Hardy (on 12, 13, 18 and 24 April 1945). In summary he was born at Knowle, Bristol, and his death, after a long illness, occurred in the RAF Hospital at Rauceby on 8 April. The nature of his illness is not recorded - he was 40 years old.

Brian

Thanks

Thanks, Brian. The question remains: why a special memorial? Where is his grave? Or is the CWGC mention of "Special Memorial" in error?

Rob

Thanks

Twice I've come across the reason for a Special Marker where the persons ashes were spread at sea. In both cases the chap was the sole survivor of an incident and his request in death was to join the resting place of his comrads in arms.

So no record in a crematorium garden of rememberence/wall or entry into a memorial to the missing, but recorded on a special marker.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

He was married to Margaret Helen Hardy (nee Nimmo) and an announcement in The Times states that the funeral would "start" from RAF Cranwell. That maybe just the service before a burial in Bristol.

I live in the city and will try to get to the cemetery soon. But it maybe a week or two before I can.

A

Thanks

I think Ross is correct Rob. The CWGC lists LACW Lili Bankier as having a Special Memorial in Ramleh War Cemetery. She died in an aircraft accident at Deversoir (Egypt) in 1945, and was buried in Jerusalem Cemetery (she was Jewish). In this case the CWGC adds that the grave has been lost.

This seems to confirm Ross' suggestion of a Special Memorial being erected when there are no remains.

Brian

Thanks

Thanks, guys.

Brian: please refer to the thread "Special Memorials, introduction", submitted yesterday. A Special Memorial, meaning a CWGC Special Memorial, is by definition a memorial for a servicemen whose grave cannot be pointed to. The grave was either lost, as a result of a variety of causes, or, in rare cases, it is elsewhere. Ross' assumption may well be true. The top line on this Special Memorial should offer a clue. If he was cremated, and the ashes committed to the deep, then the top line would be "to the memory of", or similar. The "start of the funeral from RAF Cranwell" could point in the direction of Ross' assumption.
    Looking forward to the results of Amrit's field work!

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

Is this Stephen Haistwell HARDY (Service number# 16153)?

Thanks

Paul,

Stephen Hardy, no other first name.

I correct my statement, that Special Memorials are by definition for servicemen whose graves are lost. In fact I have yet to see the CWGC definition of "Special Memorial". It is now clear that we need to include the "alternative commemoration" type of Special Memorial, meaning a memorial for a servicemam whose grave exists elsewhere.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

Rauceby was (and may still be) a UK National Health Service hospital dealing with non-physical extreme problems. I suspect - but have no proof - that RAF Rauceby was second only to RAF Wroughton in dealing with 'non-physical' RAF problems - he said delicately!!!
    However, it matters not whether those "non-physical ailments" were acquired by being repeatedly shot at in the air - or whether the issuing of Lawful Orders to those who may have been so shot at - could have had the same effect. The effect of sending many young men to their deaths could have had a more deleterious effect on the mental state of Senior Officers than has been either (a) admitted, or (b) categorised.
    HTH
    Peter Davies