Thread: F/Sgt (Pilot) Sidney Lionel VINTEN 41381 RNZAF - Died 17/8/42

Thanks

Default F/Sgt (Pilot) Sidney Lionel VINTEN 41381 RNZAF - Died 17/8/42

Would be very grateful if anyone could enlighten me with the circumstances of F/Sgt Vinten's death. Buried in the graveyard of Sutton Bridge (St.Matthew's) - link with Central Gunnery School?
    Thanks,
    Dave.
    Last edited by Albion; 13th October 2019 at 17:09.

Thanks

Dave

He's on the database on here, as killed in Hampden P1163.

See also:

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-me.../record/C23976

(scroll down to 'Leave a Note' for more details)

and

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/157477

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...vinten&f=false

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon. Thank you for the swift and informative reply. Been a while since I have ventured a request on the forum but knew you wouldn't let me down...
    Thanks again,
    Dave.

Thanks

Dave,

From Vol One of my For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915:

Mon 17 Aug 1942
    Flying Training Command
    First solo on type
    Central Gunnery School, RAF (Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire - 25 Group)
    Hampden I P1163 - took off at about 1630 and climbed 500 feet, then turned sharply and flew downwind on a steady course while losing height slowly, passed over airfield boundary at 150 feet then turned to port as if attempting to turn back to the field and land. Disappeared from view on the turn and subsequently found to have hit a tree with port wing tip, and slewed into a farmhouse, finishing up in a field at Wingland, Terrington St Clement, about 4 miles east of the base. The pilot is buried at Sutton Bridge.
    Pilot: NZ41381 Flt Sgt Sidney Lionel VINTEN, RNZAF - Age 26. 414hrs. 7 ops(?)

Errol

Thanks

Hello Errol,

Thank you for supplying the additional information. I can't resist seeking further detail whenever an air force headstone appears on the 'Flickr' photographic site.

Nice to see, and please take this as a compliment, that forum 'stalwarts' remain ready to answer the call.

Thanks again.
    Dave.

Thanks

Hello All,
    As a footnote the Forum might like to know that the name Vinten was in use in more modern times.
    1 Sqn had been playing with their Harriers for some time. Then MoD decided they had to actually do something with them. They did a DEPLOYEX (Ex SNOWY OWL, Milltown, 11-27 Mar 1972). That was a laugh-a-minute! Then they did a Fog-of-War/Smoke-of-Battle Ex (can’t find the name/date) in the valley between Staxton and Seamer in N Yorks (I could keep you laughing for hours with the stories – but they will almost all be actionable in a Court of Law!). Every Harrier flight on that Ex was photographed by (a) a number of still cameras (sited on church towers and transport cafes), and a several Vinten high-speed cine cameras, all carefully aligned. At the start of every “run” the order came (over the Ops cct ”Vintens On!!).
    All the obs sites were connected by radio/cable. There were the occasional ‘hiccups’! The still camera at one transport café ‘fired’ a frame every time the fridge door in the kitchen was opened!! TCW had laid a lot of the multipair cables. They were a bit short at the end of one field, so laid it across the corner. On day 2 of the Ex the farmer combined that field! Have you ever seen 12xpair cable chopped into 6-inch lengths, one pair of which was the Mobile Met Unit!!!
    And folk wonder why I am not entirely stable!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!