Thread: Flt Lieutenant Cyril 'Steve' Bond, service number 520309

Thanks

Default Flt Lieutenant Cyril 'Steve' Bond, service number 520309

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Helloto anyone who may be able to assist me in tracing my Grandad'smovements in the RAF during WW2.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Briefly,he joined in 1935 as a cadet and was based at Calshot (Marine CraftSection). [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ihave photographs of him on HSL 123 and he was possibly also on HSL169.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Heserved in the Isle Of Man, Ceylon, India and finally Burma. He has anOak Leaf on the Burma Star ribbon and I would like to know how heachieved this.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]IdeallyI would like to get his records where I can piece together hispostings; if anyone can guide me as to how I can achieve this I wouldbe most grateful.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Thankyou in advance,[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]JeffHill[/FONT]

Thanks

Jeff, The following are from the London Gazette in relation to your grandfather:
    Commission as a PO from the rank of Flight Sergeant. He received a new number on commissioning: 53402
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/5627

From Acting Pilot Officer to Pilot Officer
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...36373/page/733

To be Flying Officer
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/3387

You mention an oak leaf on his Burma Star. This would indicate a mention in despatches and should be worn on the 1939-45 War Medal. Could it be a rosette? If so this would indicate service qualifying him for a Pacific Star subsequent to service for the Burma Star. As to the rank of Flt Lt; I couldn't find such a promotion in the London Gazette (that doesn't mean it isn't there), but he could have been an Acting Flight Lieutenant and such promotions weren't gazzetted. Hopefully food for thought. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Hi Terry, many thanks for your message, you obviously know where to look. I have a question, what is the number 53402 in brackets after his name?

Also, I've checked and its definitely an oak leaf. I have 2 sets of ribbons one with a large hinged pin on the rear but no oak leaf; the other is quite dirty and has the oak leaf but i's just 'mounted' on a strip if cardboard and sown together.

It would be nice to trace his movements, can you advise how I go about getting his records?

Thanks and again many thanks, Jeff

Thanks

Jeff, 520309 was his service number prior to commissioning. On commissioning he was given a new number (53402) reflecting his officer status. As to applying for his service record, google Get a copy of military service records. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Hi Terry, many thanks.

I'll make a start straight away.

Jeff