Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BE.2C Biplane Wrecked - The Mendips - 8th March 1918 - Any Ideas?

Thanks

Gents

According to a biog on the internet

"In 1918, during a ferry flight in a Morane-Parasol monoplane from Hounslow aerodrome to St Omer in France, the engine failed and in the ensuing crash Uwins broke his neck. As a result of this injury his head movement was permanently impaired."

DaveW

Thanks

Sorry guys but the BE.2C seems to of turned out to be a red herring. Today I received the following reply over on The Great War forum which sounds pretty conclusive;

”Uwins logbook gives the date as 6 March 1918 and the aeroplane as DH6 9400 (I.e. C9400). Most DH6s shared the BE2 series RAF1a engine.The passenger appears to have been a Sgt Edward on the e45min flight at 500ft from Bristol to Bath. The remarks column for the flight reads - Dropping war loan pamphlets. engine conked. m/c crashed.”

Needless to day I am very pleased to finally have a successful outcome, and also want to thank all those who contributed to this little mystery.

Cheers,
    Rob

Thanks

In light of the new information, can one of the moderators please change the title to ‘DH6 Biplane Wrecked’ rather than BE.2C to avoid confusion?

Rob