Thread: RAF Aqir - how is the name pronounced?

Thanks

Default RAF Aqir - how is the name pronounced?

Anyone able to advise on how to pronounce Aqir, please?

TIA,
    Errol

Thanks

Errol,
    In the mid-50's when I was in that area it would have been pronounced 'ah-KEER', with the emphasis on the last syllable. But I was, for various periods of time, in The Canal Zone, Trans-Jordan (as it was then known), and Libya. In UK the same basic language (English) is spoken in different accents/dialects. You can tell whether somebody is from Yorkshire, or Cornwall, by the way they emphasise various words - or parts thereof - and localised words/phrases. Most Service personnel moved around the Middle East. The Arabic of Cyrenaica was spoken differently from the Arabic of The Canal Zone, or Palestine! I suppose that these enunciated differences will slowly be disappearing with the internet and global TV?
    The philologists will have a field day!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Many thanks Peter. ah-KEER will do fine, unless a forum member with Palestinian connections advises otherwise!

Cheers,
    Errol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Errol,
    In the mid-50's when I was in that area it would have been pronounced 'ah-KEER', with the emphasis on the last syllable. But I was, for various periods of time, in The Canal Zone, Trans-Jordan (as it was then known), and Libya. In UK the same basic language (English) is spoken in different accents/dialects. You can tell whether somebody is from Yorkshire, or Cornwall, by the way they emphasise various words - or parts thereof - and localised words/phrases. Most Service personnel moved around the Middle East. The Arabic of Cyrenaica was spoken differently from the Arabic of The Canal Zone, or Palestine! I suppose that these enunciated differences will slowly be disappearing with the internet and global TV?
    The philologists will have a field day!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    In the mid 50s it would have been pronounced "Tel Nof". RAF Aqir was established in 1939 by the British. In 1948 it was renamed "Ekron Airfield" (Sde Teufa Ekron) until 1950 when it was renamed again "Tel Nof". Aqir would have only ever been pronounced in English, hence "ah-KEER".

Thanks

Hi, Errol.

I concur with what Peter says, based solely upon the way it was pronounced by a gentleman (R.I.P.) I once knew, who flew Liberators from Aqir long ago. I know he might have been mispronouncing it, but, for what it's worth, he was there. I tried to find a pronunciation on YouTube but failed (though I didn't search too thoroughly).

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks

Many thanks Mark and Matt for your additional comments.

Cheers,
    Errol