Thread: T.I's and release-point flares

Thanks

Default T.I's and release-point flares

Hi,

in order to avoid mixing up some things I would like to ask if my understanding is right ...

In the night raid report of the raid 11./12.6.1943 is said that red T.I's were dropped in salvo on the aiming point and also release-point flares (red with green stars and white) igniting at 14.000 feet. The backers-up were to drop green T.I's on the red ones (overshooting the reds by 3 seconds, or aiming on the green ones already there. Half the T.I markers were to burst at 3.000 feet and half at 6.000 feet, certain markers were to burst at 10.000 feet.

First of all, the release-point flares are also called sky-markers, right?

If I got it right, the T.I's were all ground markers. Is that correct? I ask, because I wonder why these have been dropped at different altitudes?

It is also said that 13 Oboe equipped mosquitos were despatched with the above mentioned red T.I's. Is it correct that this raid had been taken place by using the Musical Parramatta and Wanganui (because of the sky markers) tactics?

Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Cheers.

Marcel
    Last edited by Marcel L.; 19th October 2019 at 12:02.

Thanks

Hi Marcel, you're absolutely right, RP flares are Skymarkers, TIs are ground markers. However, TIs are still airburst, the armaments section in Harris's 'Despatch on War Operations' stating that they 'functioned at heights up to 9,000ft or more, the cascade of burning candles was visible from great distances and this was a feature that the enemy was never entirely successful in simulating...' RP flares were basically the same 250lb TI, with '25 candles, each with its own parachute, giving a candelabra effect … mainly used for skymarking.' As you say, the attack described is Musical Parramatta (blind marking led by Oboe Mosquitoes) mixed with Wanganui Skymarkers.

Richard

Thanks

Hi Richard,

thanks for your explanations. Good to know the reason concerning the heights of the T.Is.

Cheers

Marcel