Thread: jamming GEE - signal inversion

Thanks

Default jamming GEE - signal inversion

Hi all,

again I came across something which is a bit difficult to understand. This time it is a bit technical.

In the night raid report of 11./12.6.1943 is mentioned that 11 aircraft received Gee over the target, distance of 345 miles. There was heavy jamming at the enemy coast. Serveral aircraft reported signal inversion.

The wording signal inversion seems to be the result of the jamming. Can anyone explain in understandable way for a non electrical pro :-) what the signal inversion is?

I have read a few texts and I came to the conclusion that GEE had been jammed by a device called "Heinrich". Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks.

Have a nice Sunday evening.

Marcel

Thanks

A useful read on this subject is by Peter Hoar, a former navigator with a pathfinder squadron with 5-Group. He covers all the nav aids and their deficiencies and countermeasures.

Hoar, Peter. 2007. Navigating Lancasters in WWII. Journal of Navigation. 60: pp. 201-215.

I have a PDF of it at home and can forward it to you.

My dad’s navigator (419 Squadron) is still alive. I shall phone him to see what he remembers. Dad talked about “jamming of the Gee” in his audio memoirs but gives no specifics.

Jim

Thanks

Hi Jim,

that sounds good. I will send you a private message.

In which period had your dad's navigator been on ops?

Thanks for your help.

Marcel

Thanks

Dad and his crew were on Operations, October 4,1944 to March 25, 1945. I believe there are comments in one the ORBs concerning changing frequencies of Gee and relocating Gee stations to the continent. Obviously a different time period to your concern, but it seems that Gee evolved throughout the war.

Jim

Thanks

Jim, I would appreciate a copy of the PDF. toengaATxtra.co.nz Regards, Terry