I have Honeychurch Moor listed as being used by 19 OTU. The source was an incident recorded by a witness on the RAF Forres website where two Whitley bombers collided over the range. The location cannot be confirmed as the name Honeychurch Moor does not appear in the area only in SW England!. Attempts to identify the Whitley(s) that crashed on this range have proved difficult there being no mention of two colliding. The likely candidates listed in Bomber Command Losses Vol 7 don't give the location, but a likely candidate for the Whitley is P5092 of 19 OTU which broke up in the air on 26/5/1942 about 3 miles from Lossiemouth whilst on a bombing run. The accident was thought to have been a photoflash that went off prematurely.

As the account on the Forres website was a single source I would have marked it as something to followup later but around the same time I found Honeychurch Moor mentioned in a file at the National Archives (MAF 140/12). This was in a list of ranges still on the book in late 1945 and Honeychurch was crossed out. The wartime grid reference is probably suspect as it give a map no. and grid ref that is nowhere near any Honeychurch Moor in Scotland or England.

Can anyone with 19 OTU records identify Honeychurch or if the P5092 was unrelated?

This has been bugging me for nearly 10 years and every couple of years I go over the same old ground so can anyone with 19 OTU records identify Honeychurch or if the P5092 incident was related to it?

For the sake of completeness I should point out that there were a number of other ranges in that area, Clunas (which could take live bombs), Innes Links (aka Links of Innes), Kingston and Rose Valley (aka Roseisle). I believe I have looked at those to see if they were known by alternative names. The final point is that it is possible that Honeychurch was a range used at the end of a long cross country exercise but again the know locations (SW England) don't fit was a bombing range.