Thread: Aiming points for Duisburg, October 14th and October 14-15th, 1944

Thanks

Default Aiming points for Duisburg, October 14th and October 14-15th, 1944

The 8-Group summaries for the operations to Duisburg, October 14th and again that evening October 14-15th, 1944 indicate several aiming points and Master bombers.

Daylight op Aiming Point “P” with 2 Mosquitoes and 6 Lancasters attacking the primary target and 4 Mosquitoes abortive. Upon arriving at the target the master bomber could not identify the target or target indicators and he instructed the main force to bomb any built up areas seen. At 0846.45 the Master Bomber “saw red T.I.’s and gave instructions to bomb them”. Remarkably, Dad’s bombing photo is marked as 0846.2 and it clearly shows the characteristic streaks of a T.I. in the photo, although the ORB for the sortie indicates they bombed visually after identifying docks and canal.

Daylight op Aiming Point “S” with 2 Mosquitoes and 6 Lancasters attacking the primary target and 2 Mosquitoes abortive. Aircraft were able to identify target by ground features and by special equipment [my emphasis] but could not identify actual aiming point owing to cloud. They therefore retained their T.I.’s but dropped their bombs by special equipment. The Master Bomber told main force to bomb visually on any built up areas as no T.I.’s were visible.

Daylight op Aiming Point “R” with 2 Mosquitoes and 6 Lancasters attacking the primary target and 4 Mosquitoes abortive. Red T.I.’s first fell short of the target and then directly on it Master Bomber directed bombing on the red T.I.’s until 09:02 when yellow T.I.’s had fallen some distance short of the target and the MB gave instructions to overshoot the yellows. After drifting cloud and smoke began to obscure T.I.’s, the MB directed the force to bomb the upwind edge of the smoke.

Daylight op “Special Aiming Point”. 34 Lancasters attacked the primary and one was abortive.

October 14/15 night op Aiming Point “Q”. 10 Mosquitoes and 37 Lancasters attacked the primary target. No comment about a master bomber.

October 14/15 night op Aiming Point “R”. 10 Mosquitoes and 37 Lancasters attacked the primary target. No comment about a master bomber. Comment about a large explosion at 0327 indicating this was a later attack that evening.

October 14/15 night op Aiming Point “S”. 2 Mosquitoes and 22 Lancasters attacked the primary target. 2 oboe mosquitos dropped Red T.I.’s accurately well on time and these were backed up by greens in concentrated and continuous fashion throughout the attack and good bombing resulted. The whole area was well covered by numerous fires as aircraft left at 0144. Dad’s bombing photo shows a time of 0145.1, with lots of fires evident on the photo. Other aircraft from 419 squadron bombed between 0142 and 0146 hours. No Comment about the master bomber.

Questions:

1) Can anyone provide any documentation as to the coordinates or geographical details of the various aiming points? The “Special aiming point”? The night raid report is silent on the details of the aiming points
    2) What is meant by “special equipment”? H2S or what?
    3) Whereas I know the identities of the master and deputy bombers for some of the daylight aiming points, I am unable to determine if master bombers were active during the nighttime op. Can anyone provide any details?

Jim

Thanks

Hi Jim

Special Equipment maybe Oboe?

Ian

Thanks

Ian: Possibly Oboe, except that elsewhere in the ORB, they often mention Oboe by name, so I don't think "special equipment" refers to Oboe. Did any Pathfinders carry G-H? Or was that just for 3-Group a/c?

Also, I believe the MB for Aiming Point "P" was W/C Foster of 7 Squadron as his ORB details match the 8-Group details.

Jim

Thanks

Jim - I don’t recall seeing “Oboe” referred to in the ORBs of the two Oboe Squadrons, 105 & 109. It is referred to as A.R.5513 or “special equipment”. In the 8 Group ORB is is referred to as “precision device” or “special equipment”. The Little Staughton ORB, where 109 was based refers to it as “special equipment. The Night Raid Reports often refer to Oboe as do many other ORBs but It generally wasn’t used by the Oboe Squadrons. My father’s DFC recommendation referred to his use of “special equipment. A.R.5133 was the technical name and A.R. stood for Airborne Radar.
    cheers

Thanks

Thanks for clarifying, David. I defer to your knowledge on this subject. There are definite references to the term “Oboe” in the 8 Group ORBs though. I’ll send you an email attachment of an example. That was my confusion.

Incidentally, thanks for pointing out that TI on dad’s strike photo. I had not noticed it before. it’s definitely more visible when you zoom in on it. It’s striking to me that this particular indicator might have been part of those the master of ceremonies brought to the attention of the force at the same time as dad’s crew bombed. Also the pattern of the TI, suggests it appears to be “flying”, no doubt likely due to the strong winds (42 knots, from 260 T-W/C Ison 156 ORB) during the raid.

I see that the pathfinder squadrons had gone over to “knots” By October, if not sooner. 419 Squadron still operated with MPH through to the end of the war, due to the absence of ASI units calibrated in knots on the A/C.

Jim