Thread: RAF Station Brize Norton plan WWII period

Thanks

Default RAF Station Brize Norton plan WWII period

Hi all, I would like to ask if anybody has copy of RAF Station Brize Norton detailed plan for WWII period?

I suppose it may be held in the RAF Museum Hendon but I have not checked it years ago when I have been there last time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,
    If nobody else comes back to you, I can copy the Station plan from Willis & Hollis to you (provided my scanning/transmission skills are up to it? An unknown quantity!).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hendon do not hold any/or release any historic plans of RAF Station still under operational control.

I was trying for Lossiemouth and Greenham a few years ago and both were unavailable due to this reason.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

@ Ross: Opps many thanks for your comment Ross. It is true that I was looking for other stations which are no in use anymore.
    @ Peter: May I ask you for the scan you have mentioned to have at least something?

So in such case - is there available any hi-resolution photo of the base from WWII period? I have found several of them on the internet but low resolution only. This is not enough to be able to identify the buildings roads etc. I have obtained a photo of crashed aircraft there and I would like to identify the exact place and draw a map. Any ideas where to get hi-res source?

TIA

Pavel

Thanks

Pavel

There are a lot of hits for Brize Norton photos on the NCAP site but most of them come up as "not yet digitized" which may reflect the post from Ross.

I don't know where they can be found but the German pre-war recce photos taken by Lufthansa and published in UK as "Hitler's Holiday Photos" or something like that might they be helpful...

Steve

Steve

Thanks

Re Ross's comment

I requested and received historic plans for Waddington, Marham, Finningley and Wittering from the RAF Museum.

Malcolm

Thanks

@ Steve - thanks for your answer, well I am afraid that in pre-war period there was only grass airfield without runways what would be not so useful for me as I need their layout + the hangars and other buildings (at least most of them) how they were during WWII, the best would be 1942 period.
    @ Malcolm - thanks for info, I am a little bit puzzled now...

Pavel

Thanks

The NCAP offering for the area is either post war commercially taken aerial photos, probably late fifties onward or the NARA/NCAP WW2 Luftwaffe collection which mainly dates from 1940 but may includes the odd sortie into 1943. I'm not sure if 1939 will be included but one US website did have a nice mosaic of London from 1938/9 but was pay per view and was probably from the NARA collection. I don't know when those blank images will be populated but hopefully they will post an update on their website about it.

As NCAP are constantly adding new Luftwaffe coverage I don't know if Brize will be covered by later war years or not. It is very much south orientated at present.

Thanks

Pavel

I've sent you an e-mail

Malcolm

Thanks

Many thanks to everyone for comments here and offline. I have now quite enough material to work with.

Pavel