Thread: 57 Sqdn Lincoln lost 20 Feb 1946?

Thanks

Default 57 Sqdn Lincoln lost 20 Feb 1946?

Please can anybody tell me anything about the loss of a Lincoln, at least that's what I believe happened on 20 Feb 46. I have 7 crew, all Flight Sergt/Warrant Officer and senior, with Flight Lieut MG Horton and Flying Officer ED Rees (I'm presuming one of the officers was the pilot ?)
    thanks PeteS

Thanks

Pete

Lincoln RF385, lost control in cloud and crashed near Barsby, Leicestershire, seven killed.

Crew are listed in the 'Unaccounted Airmen' entry for February 20th 1946:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...men-20-02-1946

The crash was reported in the Daily Herald of February 21st 1946, which reported that it crashed 1 mile east of Queenborough, near Leicester.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Very many thanks Simon

Thanks

Pete,

Try and access a copy of the following book:

Lincoln At War 1944-1966
    Garbett,Mike & Brian Goulding.
    Shepperton:Ian Allan,1979.
    pp.16-17.

You will find a photograph of Lincoln B.II RF385 with the following caption:

Bottom left (p.16): Glossy black under surfaces gleaming, RF385 is put through her paces by Flt Lt Frank Jones, AFC, OC the Lincoln Trials Flight, on 25 October 1945 during a press visit to East Kirkby. Codes (DX-G), were originally grey, but soon changed to black. Those on the first three Lincolns delivered to No 57 Squadron were initially painted wartime dull red by East Kirkby's paint and dope section but changed within a few hours. The squadron's work up period on the Lincoln was sadly marred by the loss of RF385 when Flt Lt M. G. Horton and crew crashed at Queniborough near Leicester during a violent thunderstorm on 20 February 1946 (The Aeroplane)

Col.