Thread: Welsh Grave Photo Request - Barry, S Wales? - F/L L.E. Tanner, 619 Sqn, 1 Nov 1944

Thanks

Default Welsh Grave Photo Request - Barry, S Wales? - F/L L.E. Tanner, 619 Sqn, 1 Nov 1944

Hi all

Just wondering if any kind Forum members might live anywhere near Barry (south Wales) and might possibly be able to take a grave photo for me?

I don't normally go into 'personnel' matters in my research projects. It's just that in my research project a few years ago looking at aircraft 'arrivals' at Woodbridge emergency aerodrome, I was particularly struck by the vivid and horrific description of the crash of a 619 Sqn Lancaster there on the evening of 1/11/1944 upon returning from an op on an oil plant at Homberg. The description is that the a/c, Lancaster PB540 coded PG-Z, had been flak-damaged at some point during the op and was difficult to control. Nevertheless it made it all the way back to the UK and was attempting to make it in to Woodbridge when it became completely uncontrollable and, at low speed and low altitude, rose up then slow-rolled over at 150 ft. Upside down at about 50 ft, the back of the a/c broke and it crashed upside down and exploded into flames. Of the hundreds of crashes and crash landings recorded in the Woodbridge ORB, that one description has always stayed in my mind.

Four of the crew were killed but 3 somehow survived. The pilot, F/L Llewellyn Elvet TANNER is buried in the Merthyr Dyfan burial ground in Barry, but given the distance from where I live I would be most grateful if anyone would be able to take a photo of his grave for me. I have no family or other connection with F/L Tanner, it's just that the record of his crash seemed particularly harrowing as it described the a/c's final moments. One can only imagine the crew's struggle and their horror in the aircraft's last minutes and seconds.

Thanks if you can help.

In Memoriam

Ian
    Last edited by ianh; 3rd November 2019 at 21:27.

Thanks

Hello Ian

I can guide you to two photos of his grave. I do not know about use of the photos, but you can ask the website and the contributors.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...n-elvet-tanner

https://images.findagrave.com/photos...1467909495.jpg

https://images.findagrave.com/photos...62830520b.jpeg

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Hi Ian,

Barry, or "Barrybados" as we locals call it, is only five miles down the road from me. I'm pretty tied up with Uni work this week, but if you can wait until next week I'd be glad to go and take some photos for you.

All the best,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Hi chaps

Many thanks for those replies. Sorry for the delay in acknowledging - I didn't look at the forum for a couple of days and then, when I did, my post had slipped off the bottom of my phone screen.

Finn - thanks for that website pointer. Very interesting to see. I have no plans to 'use' the photos, it's just a matter of personal interest from my research.

But Greg - If you wouldn't mind doing that for me that would be great! Add a credit to your beer list from me! ... And given the timing, if you do get to visit in the next few days, would you perhaps be willing to leave a poppy there for me?
    I think you have my email address but if you don't or can't find it please let me know.

All the best

Ian

Thanks

The War Graves Photographic Project has images from all around the world, Incuding Llewellyn Tanner in Barry. They charge a 4 admin fee to send the image. I have used them - it was cheaper than going to Poznan!. The link is here for this image https://www.twgpp.org/photograph/view/1061828 This image has not yet been uploaded as usually you can preview a low res image straight away.

HTH

Mike Mcleod
    Last edited by lancasterlm342; 7th November 2019 at 16:27. Reason: spelling