Thread: Abbreviation and bit of "sexism"

Thanks

Default Abbreviation and bit of "sexism"

The following is a bit of a puzzle. I would have expected that the unit would be C.A.E.U. (Casualty Air Evacuation Unit) and cannot rule out the possibility of an error made during drafting or transcription. Still, I wonder if "C.A.E.C." might still be matched to a similar unit.

I have not checked the Warrants for the AFC and AFM as they existed in 1945, but I have a hunch if the Nursing Orderly had been named Norbert Henry, the AFM would have gone through in September 1945.

SPEED, Nora Helen, Leading Aircraftwoman (2027236, Women's Auxiliary Air Force) - C.A.E.C., Down Ampney - British Empire Medal - awarded as per London Gazette dated 1 January 1946. Public Record Office Air 2/9117, courtesy of Steve Brew, has submission for an Air Force Medal, drafted for the September 1945 awards list; she had flown 553 hours (all on current duties) of which 100 had been flown in the previous six months. Authorities declined to approve an Air Force Medal "as the Royal Warrant does not provide for awards of the Air Force Medal to airwomen" and substituted the BEM.

"This airwoman is an Air Ambulance Nursing Orderly who has performed 95 operational sorties to western Europe; 59 were in aircraft carrying casualties in her sole charge. She has distinguished herself by her devotion to duty and solicitude for her patients and has often voluntarily performed nursing orderly duties in the wards after returning tired from her flying duties. She has shared the risks and discomfort experienced on these flights, particularly during the early days after the assault on Normandy when aircraft were often subjected to shelling and moraring."
    Last edited by HughAHalliday; 17th August 2008 at 21:57. Reason: spelling mistrake

Thanks

Hi Hugh

From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/00/a4163500.shtml

"On arrival we were briefed on our future role which was to train to fly all aspects of airborne Operations, Glider towing, paratrooper dropping, air despatch, the dropping of supplies to ground troops and air ambulance, for at Down Ampney we had a large Casualty Air Evacuation Centre fitted with a fully surgical hospital and we were told that between airborne operations we would be bringing back casualties from the European war fronts"

So replace the Unit for Centre and I think you have your CAEC

A

Thanks

Hi Hugh,

Latest RAFHS Journal (Issue 43) has a nomograph "A short history of Aeromedical Evacuation" by Wg Cdr M J Ruth.

CAEC is defined as Casualty Air Evacuation Centre.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Hugh
    I'm far from 100% sure but I seem to recall reading (can't recall where) that for the purposes of the Geneva Convention the Women's Services were to be considered as Non-Combatant and to recieve different treatment (?more lenient)to the Men's Services in the event of falling into Enemy hands. This possibly different status might explain why a Military combat medal was witheld and a Civilian one substituted in the circumstances you indicate.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default Abbreviation and a bit of "sexism"

Dave - a good explanation save for the fact that the AFC and AFM were created specifically for gallantry or service "not in the face of the enemy" (hence the title of my book on the subject).

Thanks

Hugh,
    Can you please enlighten us as to the meaning of the last (quoted) word in your first message which started off this thread; I cannot think of anything that fits "moraring" and have been in suspense ever since reading this word!
    David D

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Duxbury View Post
    Hugh,
    Can you please enlighten us as to the meaning of the last (quoted) word in your first message which started off this thread; I cannot think of anything that fits "moraring" and have been in suspense ever since reading this word!
    David D
    Hello David

Mortaring would seem to fit the bill

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allan125 View Post
    Hello David

Mortaring would seem to fit the bill

Allan
    Thank you Allan!!
    David D

Thanks

Default Typo on my part

"Mortaring" was indeed the word which I mangled.

Hugh H.