Thread: 1 French Tech Liaison Unit and Air Crew Europe Star

Thanks

Default 1 French Tech Liaison Unit and Air Crew Europe Star

I am researching an airman who actually joined the RAF in 1937. He reached the rank of Corporal and was an Air Mechanic/Fitter during the War. Family information is that he flew operational missions for several months and we have his Aircrew Europe Star, 1939-45 Star Italy Star, War Medal and Defence Medal. His service record also shows that in 1944 he was posted to 1FTLU, which I believe is 1 French Technical Liaison Unit?

Is anyone able to tell me :
    a) Whether a Corporal Air mechanic would ever have flown operationally in order to qualify for his Aircrew Europe Star and
    b) What a FTLU was and what his role within such a unit would have been?

Thanks

Mike

Thanks

I guess the 'easiest' way for ground crew to fly operationally especially early in the war was to volunteer as an air gunner,not all volunteer aircrew were allowed to remuster officially to be (say) Air Gunners and were dragged back to their basic 'trade'.
    Depending on this gentlemans exact trade,some airmen also flew as radar operators in the early days of airborne radar/night fighters.
    There were a couple of groundcrew who were awarded DFM's (Adrian Warburtons Camera Operators/fitters).

Thanks

No 1 French Technical Liaison Unit (1FTLU) formed 16 Jun 1944 at Boufarik, Algeria (now DAAK?). Disbanded 31 Jul 1945. Re-formed 1 Feb 1946, disbanded 10 Aug 1946 (Sturtivant/Hamlin).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 6th November 2019 at 09:30. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter

Thank you so much for this. My man ended up at 1 Base personnel Depot Algeria in the autumn of 1943 so this would tie in with him arriving in country. Do you have any idea what he would have done with this unit?

Once again thanks and best regards

Mike

Thanks

Mike, Hi,
    Sorry, no idea. The Unit title would seem to point towards resolving any Anglo/French problems that may have arisen. I'm thinking along the lines of metric/imperial tool/spanner/drill sizes and/or screw threads, etc, etc, etc. But that's purely guesswork!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!