Thread: Railway Airs Services link with RAF?

Thanks

Default Railway Airs Services link with RAF?

Although nothing is listed in his log books, my late father left notes saying he was seconded to BOAC at Whitchurch in Dec 1945 and transferred to Railway Air Services in Jan 1946. He was not discharged from the RAF until May 1946 and I know that the RAF utilised BOAC for periodic transport at this time. Have tried various British Airways sources but they apparently have no archive records on BEA,British Airways or Railway Air Services. Can anyone advise if they know of an ORB or link via Kew, have tried but I get lost.

Thanks

Fred, Hi,
    From my tattered and failing memory I have a vague recollection that Railway Air Services were, more than likely, mixed up with God's Wonderful Railway (i.e. the GWR). I think you went by train to the southwest of UK and then onwards, by air, if your destination was the Channel Islands (or similar!).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    PS I thought the BEA/BOAC/BA archives were very good, but it seems that they, too, do not have the people to run the system?
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

John Stroud had a very useful book on Railway Air Services, which might well have information for you. Worth chasing up.

Thanks

Thanks Graham, I have purchased that book which is very informative but doesn't give detailed personal info. I know my father was at Whitchurch (Bristol) with BOAC so presume with RAS he flew Rapides/Dominie to Glasgow. He actually along with a few odd planes flew Dominie's from Abbotsinch & Prestwick with 1680 Flight. As he wasn't discharged until May 1946 I don't know if he was classed as civilian? which makes it a problem searching through Kew's archives. I will carry on searching.