Thread: On Subject of Ebay Log Books

Thanks

Default On Subject of Ebay Log Books

619753 Sergeant Robert Edward JONES DFM (97 Sqn 1942)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R-A-F-Obs...YAAOSw4SJdvZBv

Thanks

Interesting, thanks for posting Paul. He was born at Liverpool in 1918, and died in Sunderland in 2000.

His D.F.M. was gazetted on March 13th 1943. He was part of the crew of Manchester L7476 K on an attack on the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau at Brest on January 9/10th 1942 noted in his log-book. The 97 Sqn ORB Form 541 has the following:

W/O Mycock
    P/O Hooey
    W/O Harrison
    Sgt Jones
    Sgt Eades
    Sgt Shelley
    Sgt Donoghue.
    A low dive attack was carried out from 1500 feet coming out and away from the target at 200 feet. Bomb released when target area was in sights but ships not discernable, owing to camouflage possibly. Much light flak which was more accurate after bomb was released.

Mycock was awarded an immediate D.F.C.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 8th November 2019 at 10:39. Reason: odd formatting

Thanks

What interests me most is the 9 October entry "LLB River Ankholme."

I assume this was the River Ancholme in Lincolnshire and did they drop practice bombs in it or just practice attack procedures and maybe photograph a specified point. I also assume this was to practice mining canals. I think the ORB was suitably vague as I didn't bother to note it. He was with 61 Sqn at that time.

This is why log books can be so useful as they sometimes contain detail ORBs don't - especially on bombing ranges used when the ORB dismisses this as "No operational flying was carried out". Shame logbooks aren't more readily available although the IBCC have done a cracking job on this aspect.

Thanks

Even more frustrating is details of ranges in this Operation Room Orders Book (second photo) but the price is extortionate!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1943-RAF-....c100752.m1982

Thanks

Went for 770. Is that a normal price for a log book, or does the D.F.M. add some extra interest?

Regards

Simon

Thanks

I was actually thinking of selling my ATB copy of Guy Gibson's logbook to help fund my research but having seen 150 to 200 values being reached I noticed that someone had it on a "Buy it Now" for 20. It was still there after 5 days so has the bottom fallen out of the market for this then?

I have a rule about these things being sold on eBay and as I am a researcher/historian the items are not for collecting/investment but a cheaper means of using copies in any future book. The TNA charge about 15 per photo to licence for publication irrespective of the loss an publication incurs. So my limit is about 15 plus a portion of travel costs. Generally I have paid no more than 10 per map or chart a little more for booklets or manuals as they contain many pictures. All of these will be resold at some point or donated to an archive that is accessible and hopefully not broken up and sold a page at a time.