Thread: Help Needed: Interpretation of Strike Photo.

Thanks

Default Help Needed: Interpretation of Strike Photo.

I am looking for help in the interpretation of my father's strike photo for his daylight operation to Duisburg, October 14, 1944. If anyone has any relevant experience with this and is willing to discuss this by email, I would be most grateful.

At issue are:

1)interpreting the direction of the winds from a falling TI. (42 knots of wind identified over the target).

2) a shadow on the photo (An out of focus bomb or a sticking shutter).

3) direction of bomb run

4) ground features.

Jim

Thanks

Jim

I remember being involved in a lot of discussion on this subject on another forum several years ago ..... whether there is anything in there which will help you I do not know, but here is the link: http://sas.raf38group.org/forum/view...=target+photos

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Thanks Pete for your link to that thread. I read through that thread and it is largely technical in nature, rather than the interpretation of the photo itself. After consultation with Richard K. on this, it turns out that dad managed to collect all target photos that were taken on his operations. Photos were not developed on all operations, although there were some photos of H2S screens instead. The nighttime photos are largely not interpretable, except to show that the a/c was in the target area. There is no ground detail that I can discern. Some daytime photos are excellent (Bergen, Oct 4, 1944, Mathias Stinnes, March 24, 1945 and Hannover, March 25, 1945). However there are a couple of others, including Duisburg for October 14, 1944, that offer some tantalizing glimpses of some ground detail amongst the clouds, and I want to be sure that I am interpreting the photo correctly.

The TI identified in the Duisburg for October 14, 1944, is quite interesting. The ORB for W/C Ison [sp?] 156 Squadron, MB for one of the aiming points records: "...asked Deputy 'Have you a wind?' 0831.30 reply was 'Here is first wind at 19,000 ft, 260 degrees T. 42 knots'..." The T.I. in the photo sure looks like it is "flying" in the wind. So I am using a protractor to try to determine the wind direction from the trail in the T.I. in relation to the direction of the bombing run on the photograph. A wind direction of 260 degrees true would be pretty much from due westerly. The photo records a bombing run of 126 degrees (presumably True) from right to left in the photo, if I am interpreting the notation on the bottom correctly. 75 years after the fact, I'm struggling, quite frankly!

Jim