Thread: 620 Squadron Stirling photo - a question.

Thanks

Default 620 Squadron Stirling photo - a question.

Hello

I came across this photo a while back (photo no. 1) and have a question:

https://www.501csw.usafe.af.mil/News...irford-fights/

What uniform is the chap second from the right wearing? He looks a bit Fleet Air Arm with that hat on...but at Fairford?

Regards

Simon

Thanks

I have a photo of my dad and crew standing in front of their Stirling (570 Sqdn) also with a Fleet Air Arm guy. Apparently he was there to gain experience of radial engines.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyke1955 For This Useful Post:

wwrsimon (25th November 2019)

Thanks

Interesting, thanks for that - that matches the photo's caption. Would that have been when 570 Squadron were at Hurn?

I just wondered if he was indeed F.A.A. as Fairford is so far from the sea! I'd had an idea that the Stirling in the photo could be LJ580 of 199 Squadron.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wwrsimon View Post
    Interesting, thanks for that - that matches the photo's caption. Would that have been when 570 Squadron were at Hurn?

I just wondered if he was indeed F.A.A. as Fairford is so far from the sea! I'd had an idea that the Stirling in the photo could be LJ580 of 199 Squadron.

Regards

Simon
    Hi there, no it was at Rivenhall.

Thanks

The fellow in the "sailor suit" would have to be FAA by his headwear alone, but the question is, was he actually aircrew or an ordinary (earthbound) sailor/airman? He seems to be wearing simple mechanic's overalls, and although no flying badges are visible, anything is possible. All the other personnel in the photograph are wearing "battledress" type uniforms (known as "Flying Suits" by RAF). Incidentally it would be more likely that TECHNICAL (aero-engine) staff rather than aircrew would be interested in "gaining experience in air cooled engines" (that is, apart from flight engineer and pilot). Flight engineers were invariably recruited from the ranks of Flight mechanics and Fitter IIEs, so had a fair understanding of the correct operation of these quite different cooling systems, while pilots had to learn some of the fundamentals of air-cooled versus liquid-cooled engines so that they would be less likely to accidentally destroy them through ignorance of their respective characteristics.
    David D

Thanks

Simon,

Can't really help with your 'FAA' man. But what I can tell you, is, the airmen on the extreme right of your photograph is, AUS403535 F/O (Pilot) Athol Richard 'Bluey' SCANLON RAAF, of No.620 Squadron. P/O Scanlon RAAF was to lose his life on 20 September, 1944, when his 620 Sqn Stirling LK127:QS-O was brought down by flak over the target zone and crashed near the Polderstaat at Heteren, during Operation 'Market Garden'.

You will find the same photograph on page 139 of the following book:

Stirlings In Action With The Airborne Forces - Air Support for SAS and Resistance Operations During WWII.
    Williams,Dennis.
    Barnsley:Pen & Sword Aviation,2008.

The caption to the photograph reads:

Flying Officer Athol 'Bluey' Scanlon RAAF (right) with members of his crew, and two of their ground crew (Source: 190 & 620 Sqns Archive).

One other photo in the book (p.98), has the following caption:

Flight Officer Thomas Higgins is seen here, standing, far left. Alongside him are other members of his crew; left to right: Flight Sergeant D. Oxley, (flight engineer), Pilot Officer A.G. Pool (wireless operator), Flying Officer W.H. Chappell (pilot), Pilot Officer L.J. Crossman (navigator) and Flight Sergeant W.R. Dunkley (air gunner); kneeling, members of the ground crew, including a Fleet Air Arm rating*. (Source: 190 & 620 Sqns Archive).

* Doesn't look like the fellow in the previous shot (p.139).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 26th November 2019 at 06:44.

Thanks

Many thanks for that Col.

I do have a copy of the book, I just didn't realise it was in there too!

Regards

Simon