Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 582 Squadron - Maj. Edwin Swales VC DFC

Jim M Guest

Default 582 Squadron - Maj. Edwin Swales VC DFC

Looking for a good quality image of 582 Squadron's crest, along with information and photos pertaining to 582 Squadron. I am assisting the archivist for Durban High School in Durban, South Africa in the search for information relating to an old boy of the school, Maj. Edwin Swales VC DFC, SAAF, who was awarded a VC on February 23, 1945. The archivist is wanting to set up a permanent display of information/artifacts relating to Maj. Swales.

Thanks

Default E Swales

Jim,

this is an old thread from 2005

http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=7947&forum=DCForumID 6&archive=yes

theres probably nothing new in it for you but Anne Storm might be able to help or some of those other posters.

regards

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

I have some information on Swales including all the crew's debriefing notes after the op he was killed on. I also have the station and squadron operations record books for 582 sqn and can pass on a fair bit to you if you send me an email.
    Dave Wallace

Thanks

Jim,

"Looking for a good quality image of 582 Squadron's crest"

Just a minor correction - it is the Squadron's badge, not crest.

Errol

Thanks

Jim,
    If you email me, I may be able to help.
    Best wishes,
    Bill

Thanks

Default Swales

Jim

Edwin Swales was distantly related, by marriage, to my husband's Storm family, some of whom had emigrated from Yorkshire to Durban a long time ago & built a big shipping firm in Durban .
    There is a road in Durban named after Swales. I think my RAAF father's SAAF pilot ,Maj SS Urry also went to Durban High School .
    There is a book with a chapter about Swales' missions but I can't remember the title.There is also information about him & his sqdn on google .One example --
    http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Bedfordshire/LittleStaughtonBookofRemembrance.html

If you email me direct storm04ATglobalnet.co.uk [substitute AT with @] I'll see what I can find.

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 19th August 2008 at 10:25.

Thanks

hello,

I think I have a gendarmerie report about the crash of the Lancaster, as it occured in France. But for a reason I don't know, Edwin Swales was not buried in France (Valenciennes would have been the closest cemetery with RAF burials brought from this area) but in Belgium.

If you are interested, I can retrieve and scan the document.

As this crash is local for me, I'm interested in any additional information about it. It's also the only case I have in my research area connected with the award of a Victoria Cross.

Joss

Thanks

Recent book 'Heroic Endeavour - One Attack, A V.C. and 206 Brave Men' by Sean Feast published by Grub Street.

Thanks

Hi Jim
    Try http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn541-598.htm and you will find a good reproduction of the 582 Badge I think that like all such Badges it is Crown Copyright but there is seldom any objection to using such material for the purposes that you have in mind
    Dick

Thanks

Default Swales

Joss
    You probably know this ?
    Fifth Supplement to The London Gazette 20th April 1945
    "The KING has been graciously pleased to confer the VICTORIA CROSS on the undermentioned officer in recognition of most conspicuous bravery :-
    Captain Edwin Swales DFC S.A.A.F., 582 Sqn. (deceased)......
    "Intrepid in the attack, courageous in the face of danger, he did his duty to the last, giving his life that his comrades might live".

Ted was the 'master bomber' of a force of aircraft which attacked Pforzheim, Germany, on the night of 23rd February 1945. His Lancaster bomber was repeatedly attacked by enemy fighters and severely damaged.So that his aircraft and crew would not fall into enemy hands he determined to reach 'friendly' territory and set a course for home.The aircraft became more difficult to control and was losing height.Ted ordered his crew to bale out and then the aircraft plunged to earth .He was found dead at the controls in the wreckage.

Anne

At the time of his death he was an acting Major.