Thread: RAF units badges original drawing

Thanks

Default RAF units badges original drawing

Hi all,

I was researching the RAF badges a little bit and I was quite surprised by two facts (learning something new every day) and I would like to confirm them from another source (my was Wiki):

"the unit or squadron is presented with the original goatskin painting signed by the monarch"

1. the unit really got the original? I was expecting it was held is some heraldic depository?
    2. the original badge was really on goatskin?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,
    Can't answer your questions, but the Authority for all such matters is yet another of the arcane institutions in the UK. The College of Heralds. I had some peripheral dealings with them when I was doing some family history research. They were (are!) a very powerful body, and it is not so many centuries back that if you infracted some of their Rules you might expect to be conveyed to The Tower Of London for Bed & Board at The Soveriegn's Expense before receiving a very close "haircut with an axe" on Tower Green!!! It didn't pay to mess with Heralds!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Pavel

The originals were indeed returned to the unit, which is why there isn't a central depository.

The RAF Heraldry Trust was set up in an attempt to remedy the situation. People were asked to sponsor badges which were then painted by Mary Denton to the specification held by AHB, and when complete these 'originals' are passed to RAF Cranwell for safe keeping.

Small versions of all the badges so far completed are available to view on my website in the Badges section, courtesy of May and the RAFHT Trustees.

Malcolm

Thanks

Thank you Malcolm for additional info.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz