Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Record searches

stpoint Guest

Default Record searches

I know this has probably been gone over numerous times but as an Australiian about to go to London I need to make sure I have all the details to trace my Uncles war service.

I need to know where to look/go to find information relating to the crash in which he was killed. I have the date but would like to look at the actual file relating to his death.

As he was stationed at 10 OTU, where would I find information on this unit.

I have tried somewhat succesfully to find information about those killed with him but I keep drawing a blank on two of the crew, am I likely to find any additional information in the records if I search them.

Do these record keeping places close over Xmas and New year. Do I need to make an appointment and is there any cost involved.

Thanks

Debbie

Thanks

Hi Debbie,

Preparations are indeed essential; chances are that you shall be very disappointed by the official oyster attitude in the UK regarding the data you are looking for. Some of the more relevant of these record keeping places are closed during Xmas, New Year, and all 363 days in between.

A good first move would be to offer more details to the visitors of this forum. You might be surprised about the amount of information that this might yield.

Regards,

Rob

stpoint Guest

Thanks Rob

I have posted my requests on this forum before and have had some great responses which has enabled me to trace 2 of the airmen killed with my Uncle and have actually been in touch with one of their old commanding officers. I have also tracked down the daughter of the pilots wife in New Zealand. So it isnt for lack of trying on my part but two of the airmen I cant seem to get anywhere with.

These are

Flt Sgt Eddie Renown LINES 632855
    Sgt Thomas Edward COMINS 1251975

The other crew members

Flt Lt John Edward CARTER 39711
    Sgt Fred CORLETT 754931

The information I am looking for relates to their units prior to them going to 10 OTU and once I have that information I can get going with the searching again.

Debbie

Thanks

Hi Debbie,

Could you point to the relevant earlier forum entries, so as to know what has already been found?

http://www.bombercrew.com/OTU/neal.htm

Regards,

Rob

stpoint Guest

Thanks again.

I dont recall the entries, I had a computer crash on me and it deleted all my stored files so I am having to sort of start again. I have the details relating to his death from Chorleys Bomber Command Losses. Sorry to be so vague but the information is made up from sources all over the place but I can seem to get any information on LINES and COMINS,

Debbie

Thanks

Here a little on Comins: from the website freebmd.org.uk

Births Sep 1920
    Comins Thomas E Biffen Walsall 6b 1467
    That means in the third year quarter of 1920 a Thomas E Comins was born, his mothers maiden name was Biffen and the birth was registered in the Walsall district.
    http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/walsall.html

Use the phone directory www.bt.com, there is one person surname Biffen living near Cheam you could write to them.

The database doesn't contain anyone that matches Lines but its not complete. I'm at work so don;t have time to go through the image indexes.

Use the phone directory www.bt.com, one man of that name is still listed in the town. Write to them.

here is the older thread,
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1205

Can you post the full crew list PLEASE and the aircraft serial number.

is this the full crew:

Flt Sgt Eddie Renown LINES 632855
    Sgt Thomas Edward COMINS 1251975
    Flt Lt John Edward CARTER 39711
    Sgt Fred CORLETT 754931

Was your uncle from Australia then? One of the above?

regards

Dennis
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 19th August 2008 at 07:45. Reason: Added crew.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

To find the previous posts by 'stpoint' just place click on the username at top left of the post and select the option to see all previous posts.

Debbie, on my website I have extracts from the diary of an NZ airman who was at 10 OTU during the period you are researching which you may find interesting to read. You can find them here http://www.archieraf.co.uk/archie/1044blundendiary_pge3.html

Good luck with your searches.

Linzee

Thanks

Default Two NZ airmen 10 OTU

Nice one Linzee,

the two airmen he refers to Max and Harry on the 21st must be:

P/O Peter Maxwell Gray NZ403444
    and
    P/O Harry Gordon Compton Fooks NZ40966

Erroll can probably add more.

Different crash I guess.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennis_burke View Post
    Nice one Linzee,

the two airmen he refers to Max and Harry on the 21st must be:

P/O Peter Maxwell Gray NZ403444
    and
    P/O Harry Gordon Compton Fooks NZ40966

Erroll can probably add more.

Different crash I guess.
    From my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services Since 1915 (Vol Three: Biographies & Appendices)':

GRAY, Pilot Officer Peter Maxwell.
    NZ403444; b Wgtn 28 Sep 16; Wgtn Coll (1st XV); warehouseman - Sargood, Son & Ewen Ltd, Wgtn. RNZAF Levin/GTS as Airman Pilot u/t 29 Sep 40, 3EFTS 27 Oct 40, 2FTS 26 Dec 40, Pilots Badge [wef 10.2.41] & Comm 22 Mar 41, att RAF & emb for UK 29 Apr 41, 3PRC 2 Jun 41, 10OTU (Whitley) 7 Jun 41, kaa 21 Jul 41. Brookwood Military Cemetery - 2.E.7, Woking, Surrey, England. Son of Thomas & Ety Violet Gray, Kelburn, Wgtn. [phot. TWN 20.8.41].

FOOKS, Flying Officer Ernest Berjeu.
    146328 (prev 711060); b Ashburton 28 Mar 11; Ashburton HS (1st XI/XV) & Canty Univ Coll (1st XV); civil engineer - Govt of Fiji. Emb for Southern Rhodesia c.mid-1941, RAFVR [at Hillside Camp/ITW as Aircrafthand (Pilot)?] c.e.Sep 41, 28EFTS 16 Oct 41, 23SFTS 6 Dec 41, Pilots Badge & Sgt 27 Jan 42, to UK e.Apr 42, 12(P)AFU 11 Jun 42 [att 1514BATF 30 Jun-c.6 Jul], 17OTU (Blenheim) 11 Aug 42, 180 Sqn (Mitchell – at least 29 ops) e.Oct 42, Comm 30 Apr 43, kao 7 Jan 44. Brookwood Military Cemetery - 2.B.1, Woking, Surrey, England. Son of Alfred Augustus & Adele Catherine Helen Fooks (née Nairn), Chch. Note: brother of Harry, below. [phot. TWN 12.4.44].

FOOKS, Pilot Officer Harry Gordon Compton.
    NZ40966 (prev A40966); b Ashburton 2 Jul 18; Ashburton HS (1st XV & Tennis Team); civil servant - Govt Tourist Bureau, Chch. RNZAF Levin/GTS as Airman Pilot u/t 9 Apr 40, 1EFTS 7 May 40, flew into wires and inj 14 Jun 40 [hosp until 27 Jul, sick leave 9 Sep-7 Oct], 1FTS 27 Dec 40, Pilots Badge [wef 8.2.41] & Comm 22 Mar 41, att RAF & emb for UK 29 Apr 41, 3PRC 2 Jun 41, 10OTU (Whitley) 7 Jun 41, kaa 21 Jul 41. Brookwood Military Cemetery - 2.F.7, Woking, Surrey, England. Son of Alfred Augustus & Adele Catherine Helen Fooks (née Nairn), Chch. Note: brother of Ernest, above. [phot. TWN 15.10.41].

Errol

Thanks

Debbie can answer for herself, and shall correct me if I'm wrong. The aircraft & crew:

Anson I Nr. N5070, 10 OTU, from Abingdon, Berkshire, crashed 22-7-1941 during a Navex at night. The aircraft flew into a hill, 03.30h, NW of Westbury in Wiltshire.
    F/Lt. (Pilot) CARTER, John E.,MiD, RAF 39711, buried Herne Bay Cemetery
    Sgt. (Obs) CORLETT, Fred, DFM, RAF 754931, Kirk Maughold (St.Machut) Churchyard
    Sgt. (-) NEAL, John, RAAF 400069, Brookwood
    F/Sgt. (WAG) LINES, Eddie R., RAF 632855, Brookwood
    Sgt. (WAG) COMINS, Thomas E., RAF 1251975, Brookwood
    With thanks to Henk Welting.

The website I mentioned presents a picture of Sgt. J. Neal.

The service records you are looking for are held by RAF PMA (Personnel Management Agency). Contact details in the Web. Such records are given only to those who can prove to be next of kin. Usually. What you are really after is the contact data that shall be present in that record. This data for Sgt. Comins has already been supplied to you by Dennis in the post below. I fully subscribe to the tactics suggested by Dennis: if you want to find relatives, use the international phone books and send letters.

Regards,

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Philips; 19th August 2008 at 11:00.