Thread: scharnhorst 23.7.41

Thanks

Default scharnhorst 23.7.41

S/Ldr COX of 7 Sqd Pilot records hitting the Scharnhorst with a single 2000lb AP during the attack of the 23rd July 1941. The hit observed on the stern of the ship at LaPallace.

I am trying to establish how badly damaged the ship was from this attack but unable to find anything. 7 Sqd ORB confirms the strike, the rear gunner shot down two ME109's on this sortie.

Any help or direction on this would be warmly received.
    Colin.

Thanks

Hi Colin,

Check out http://www.scharnhorst-class.dk/scharnhorst/history/scharnbrest.html for details about the damage done.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

Thanks Rob.

I appear to have missed that on my searching! Thanks again.

Thanks

You could also try the Scharnhorst's own war diary (Kriegstagebuch), which will probably give a very precise description from the receiving end, including an inventory of every shell and bullet that was sent up in defence during the raid.

Copy held on microfilm in London at the Naval Historical Branch of the MOD (Room 306 MOD, 3-5 Great Scotland Yard London SW1A 2HW). Original held in German Archives, also I believe a copy in Washington DC.

Thanks

A great possibility: Thank you, I have a 2,000lb AP bomb dropped by a 7 Squadron crew which struck the Scharnhorst at the rear. Details thus far dont record a strike by a bomb of this size.