Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Names of Americans serving in the RCAF.

Thanks

Default Names of Americans serving in the RCAF.

Hello,

Where can be found lists of Americans that served in the RCAF in WW2 ?

I think that there were some 2 to 3 hundred.

Some served in the RAF squadrons as RCAF .

Many transfered to American Air Forces later in the war.

But where to find their names and RCAF service numbers ?

Thanks,

Alex

Thanks

Hi Alex,

The number is quite a bit higher than that. Some sources cite a number closer to 9,000 American citizens who enlisted in the RCAF between September 1939 and 7 December 1941.

I've recently obtained the RCAF service files of a few who went on to join the USAAF. For those who were later killed with the USAAF a link to the ABMC site was accepted as proof of death. I also obtained one of a 1st Lt who had just transferred over to the USAAF after service as an RCAF Flying Officer. This was done halfway through his tour...which ended abruptly when he was sole survivor of his crew.

To answer your question, there is no list of names and service numbers that I am aware of. Even the LAC's in-house database does not show home of record on enlistment.

Regards,

Dave

3. The Following User Says Thank You to alieneyes For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (25th November 2019)

Thanks

Thanks Dave, I have tried the Gazette but found it a bit different from the London one.
    Maybe members could guide me as to how to search it for names and/or service numbers ?
    Bearing in mind looking for all, not just killed.
    Alex
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 25th November 2019 at 02:51.

Thanks

Hi Alex,

I have the details of six (that graduated as pilots) that were on Course 58, 4 SFTS, Saskatoon June-October 1942. Some I have details others nothing. Please feel free to contact me on harleyDOT158ATbigpondDOTcom replace the DOT & AT with the usual and Iíll send you what I have.

Cheers,

John.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to John Williams For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Maybe Hugh can provide an idea on how he got these figures:

"As of Dec. 8, 1941, approximately 6,129 Americans were members of the RCAF. Just over half–3,883–were still undergoing training, but 667 were on operations overseas while others were engaged in flying duties in Canada itself, instructing, flying anti-submarine patrols, etc. With America’s entry into the war, RCAF recruiting there ceased and American volunteers began heading for USAAF offices instead. Americans residing in Canada were still being enrolled, however. Ultimately, the RCAF calculated that more than 8,860 U.S. nationals joined that force."

https://legionmagazine.com/en/2006/07/canadas-yanks/

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Amrit For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hello,

Contact Wally Fydenchuk:

http://immigrantsofwar.blogspot.com

Better still, get a copy of his book:

http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...m/addallcom-20

Col

10. The Following User Says Thank You to COL BRUGGY For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Alex,

As I was paging through the posts, I was formulating what I'd write. As usual, Col beat me to it with his "Immigrants Of War" suggestion. I bought this book, which showed great attention to detail, but as I recall (I could be wrong...and I've misplaced my copy to double-check), it was almost exclusively about fighter pilots. I'd provided some info, including photos, to Wally Fydenchuk about a couple of Americans who were with 159 Squadron on Liberators in India, and who stayed in the RCAF, but they were not mentioned in the book.

My guys represent only two of so many Americans in the RCAF, but if you want more info, I'll be happy to provide details. They are Bob USTICK (air gunner from Ohio) and Rex "Pop" SIMMONS (pilot from North Dakota). In fact, there are photos of both in the memoir of wireless op/air gunner Bill Kirkness DFM I turned into a book, RAF LIBERATORS OVER BURMA -- this isn't meant as a book plug, I swear -- and Pop was Bill Kirkness's 2nd pilot on nine ops. Each op is written up, and Pop is also the focus of attention on non-flying subjects.

Now, where did I put that book?? It's not on my shelves, where it belongs. A rare misplaced book for me to find. It is here...somewhere.

Cheers,

Matt

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Poole For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (26th November 2019)

Thanks

Hello Col & Matt,
    Tried to get the book ordered but can't be done as it is out of print. So second hand is now only line to take.
    Has the book got names and service numbers ?
    Thanks
    Alex

Thanks

Hi Alex,

I ran into the same problem in 2010. But it was carried by East Anglia Books so was able to get a copy there.

sales@eastangliabooks.fsnet.co.uk

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Note, there are variants of IMMIGRANTS OF WAR. I have the 2005 edition and the 2008 edition (fourth edition) and they are different. I have not seen the other editions. The books are good enough that you would want to consult both of those versions.
    The 2005 edition has no index but does have a list of American RCAF casualties plus Ferry Command and ATA personnel. The 2008 edition does have an index. Both editions are well illustrated.
    Ian Macdonald

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian M Macdonald For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (27th November 2019)