Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Names of Americans serving in the RCAF.

Thanks

I found my copy (softcover, very well printed and bound) -- sitting atop other books because the shelves are filled. I need another shelving unit!

I probably bought mine by going to www.bookfinder.com. Mine is the SIXTH EDITION printed in 2009.

In spot checking, I see only one service numbers -- in a photo taken from an airman's RCAF personnel file, where he is holding his number for the camera.

In all, the short index shows a) the equivalent of the Table of Contents (there is no T of C at the front of the book), b) only the 48 names of Americans who joined the RAF or RCAF and are profiled in detail in the book, plus four bigwigs: Dwight Eisenhower, Winston Churchill, Franklin Roosevelt, and Canadian Prime Minister MacKenzie King.

I was correct -- most of the men profiled, not quite all, were fighter pilots. And I'm not certain -- I'll have to go through the entire book -- but it might be that only pilots are profiled. In my last posting, I mentioned two Americans I knew from 159 Squadron research, both in the RCAF -- Bob Ustick (my friend, died in 1997) and Rex "Pop" Simmons (died in 1961), and it just came to me that another, a flight engineer named Stan Wilson, was from Coscob, Connecticut. Definitely Ustick and Simmons were American citizens, but I don't know about Wilson. Disqualifying him from the discussion because, for all I know, he held British or Canadian citizenship, that leaves Ustick and Simmons as Americans I know of on 159 Squadron -- one an air gunner (squadron Gunnery Leader, too), one a bomber pilot.

The photos are beautifully presented, and plentiful.

Alex, I can scan the Index and maybe several other samples for you.
    Last edited by Matt Poole; 27th November 2019 at 03:52. Reason: I added a note to Alex at the end & tweaked other writing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Poole For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (28th November 2019)

Thanks

Hi Alex,

I have both 2005 and 2007 editions. To be honest, they are of little use to me and now full of dust. From my point of view this book whatever the edition is giving a good overview of where and how the Americans in the RCAF served but that's all. Some good examples with bios are given but nothing else. The listings at the end for 2007 edition are compilations of what you can do by yourself with CWGC site but without the service numbers. Furthermore CWGC site doesn't give details for all birth places therefore some Americans might have been forgotten in those listings and I know that happened. Finding the deads are easy but finding the ones who survived is another story. I bought those books with this in mind, finding the survivors and I was disappointed. I can't say anything for the editions that followed however.

Phil

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phil Listemann For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hello,

Wally states on the page I indicated, that his book is now in its ninth (9th) edition. I have no idea which year that edition was published, there are too few copies available for sale to ascertain that.

I have been patiently waiting for over three years now for mention of a new edition. Unfortunately, nothing has been said. If you take a look at the tweets on the left hand side of the page, there is a lengthy roll of honour, including, pilots, navigators, gunners etc.

Col.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to COL BRUGGY For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Should anyone have copies of the RCAF lists, at the back of each volume are the retirees. They show who has transferred to the US airforce. Unfortunately this is officers only. They are also scattered throughout the Canada Gazette. Not sure how to weed out the NCO's. I have a list of about 100 that flew in 6 bomber Group.
    Hope this helps.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard.K For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My name having been brought into this thread on 25 November, I have at last located the source of the statistics I gave for a 2006 Legion Magazine article. It was Fred Hatch’s book, “Aerodrome of Democracy: Canada and the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, 1939-1945.” Hatch in turn derived his figures from Directorate of History, Document 74/7, “Recruiting in the United States of America.”