Thread: Target Indicators

Thanks

Default Target Indicators

I can only find 250lb Target Indicators listed in the British Explosive Ordnance Publication 1946 and wondered if the assumption can be made that all TI's listed in squadron ORB were 250lb?

In addition, I note that some of the 35 Squadron records show a 500lb GP TI ..... were these different to standard TI's and if so, how did they vary?

Your usual guidance would be much appreciated

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Not an answer but I found out that there were also route marker flares as well. I have seen load lists in squadron appendices that show what each aircraft carried and sometimes what they were for. I can't recall which squadrons had these as I have been through over 100 ORBs in recent months looking for something else. I suspect that the sequence and timing of both the flares and TI's was important so they must have been detailed in the operations orders, possibly also in the appendices, maybe a pathfinder squadron?

Thanks

Hi Pete

I have been passed the following: -

"Armament (AM SD 719) Vol II
    Under the rubric "pyrotechnics", Ch 21 and Appendix 9 cover Target Indicator bombs.

Summarising heavily...
    250lb TI (30 types, listed and described in App 9) 1000lb TI (Ch 21: types not listed but similar) 4,0000lb TI (Ch 21: incendiary mixture, coloured to brilliant pink - ie, Pink Pansy)

Further details should be found in AP1661E Pyrotechnics and associated Vol II Leaflets."

Malcolm