Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 1942 Unaccounted Airmen Database Reconciliation

Thanks

Flight Sergeant Richard GRIFFITHS (1006702) Pilot

134 Sq ORB:
    28.7. received information taht F/Sgt Griffiths and P/O McCann both killed on operations 27.7. whilst flying with 213 Sq

213 Sq ORB:
    27.7. Hurricane BP197 F/S Griffiths - pilot killed
    27.7. Hurricane BP231 P/O McCann - pilot killed
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Sergeant George CLINGINGS (992524) Wireless Op

39 Sq ORB:

Beaufort DD992
    pilot Lt. D. P. Tilley
    fighter opposition encountered while attacking 2 MVs and Air Gunner Sgt Clingings was badly wounded in the head and died the following day.

Thanks

Flight Lieutenant Patrick Denis MORIARTY (66484) Pilot

274 Sq ORB:
    bomber sorties over Cauldron area, F/Lt Moriarty shot down in Gazala area by 3 Me 109s.

F541 not available, Hurricane serial not stated.

Thanks

Sister Joan CONNELL (103) 1942-05-17 Australia Bendigo Civil Cemetery#

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/R1704391

Cause of Death Illness

Aircraftman 1st Class Stewart William EDSON (47538) RAAF 1942-02-27 Australia Port Pirie General Cemetery

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/R1704512

Cause of Death Illness

Thanks

Leading Aircraftman John Harold GREEN (18780) RAAF 1942-03-11 Australia Box Hill General CemeteryRef : C. of E. Plot. Sec. 15. Grave 19.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/R1703271

Cause of Death Illness

Corporal William Kendal MORROW (20106) RAAF 1942-03-14 Australia South Grafton Cemetery

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/R1719722

Cause of Death Illness

Thanks

Leading Aircraftman Daniel Donald STEWART (403073) RNZAF 1942-03-14 Australia Heathcote CemeteryRef : R.C. Plot Row D. Grave 419.

Errol Martyn in 'For your tomorrows' has him killed in a motor vehicle accident at Heathcote, near Melbourne and died at scene in early hours of morning

Leading Aircraftman Lewis Conway ROSENBERG (29877) RAAF 1942-03-17 Australia Adelaide (West Terrace) Cemete

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/R1716378

Unit 1 Elementary Flying Training School Parafield

Cause of Death Accidental

Thanks

Leading Aircraftman Lewis Conway ROSENBERG (29877) RAAF 1942-03-17 Australia Adelaide (West Terrace) Cemete

https://highgate-rsl.org.au/afcraaf-...-conway-29877/

On 17 March 1942, Leading Aircraftman Rosenberg, a Fitter IIE, was fatally injured when he was struck by an airscrew while on duty at Parafield.

Thanks

Leading Aircraftman Daniel Donald STEWART (403073) RNZAF 1942-03-14 Australia Heathcote CemeteryRef : R.C. Plot Row D. Grave 419.

PS
    Kilmore Free Press (Kilmore, Vic. : 1870 - 1954) Thu 19 Mar 1942 Page 7
    TRAGIC MOTOR ACCIDENT NEAR HEATHCOTE

YOUNG NEW ZEALAND AIRMAN LOSES LIFE WHEN CAR CRASHES INTO TREES. REMARKABLE ESCAPE OF SOLDIER PASSENGERS. A MOTORING ACCIDENT WITH SOME PATHETIC FEA- TURES, IN WHICH A YOUNG NEW ZEALAND AIRMAN, ON A VISIT TO RELATIVES AT HEATHCOTE WHILE WAITING FOR THE BOAT WHICH WAS TO TAKE HIM HOME, WAS KILLED WHEN RETURNING FROM A DANCE AT TOOBORAC, OCCURRED IN THE EARLY HOURS OF SATURDAY.

The airman's name was Donald Stewart and he was 27 years of age. Although he was born in Wellington, he returned to Australia with his par- ents as a young boy and attended school in Heathcote for some, years. They later returned to New Zealand. After the outbreak of the war he enlisted in the Air Force of the sister Dominion, and saw active service in Malaya, leaving the vicinity of Singa- pore just before its fall. On arrival in Melbourne with a wait of a few days before returning to New Zealand, he decided to visit his grand- mother (Mrs. D. Geary) and aunt (Mrs. Howe) at Heathcote. He had spent a happy couple of days renew- ing old friendships and calling on old schoolmates. He was due to return to Melbourne on Saturday. On Friday night he decided to at- tend the dance being held at Too- borac, and hired a car, going out late in the evening. There he met two members of the A.I.F. from Pucka- punyal, and suggested that they should return to Heathcote with him. Some time after 3 a.m. they left Tooborac, and when reaching the bend near Mr. A. Hayes' house the car swerved from the road, collided with a white guard post and crashed into the trees. The three men were thrown out. Donald Stewart sustained serious head I injuries, a fractured skull resulting in his death. One of the other men, Syd- ney Thomas Wilkins, attempted to start the car to move it but was un- able to do so. He went to the road and stopped a passing car, the last one returning from the dance. His companion, Victor Clarence House, was unconscious. They were conveyed to Heathcote, a where the Police and Doctor were notified. The body of Donald Stewart was conveyed to the Hospital Morgue and the soldiers were admitted to the institution. The lights of the car were blacked out and visibility was not good, this combined with the fact that deceased was not familiar with the road un- doubtedly contributed to the acci- dent. A sad feature of this tragedy is that the dead man left a young wife and a baby born while he has been on active service, and he was anxiously looking forward to going home to them. Deceased's mother, Mrs. Mary Stew- art, is a native of Heathcote, and the the deepest sympathy of the people has been expressed for the bereaved par- ents, wife and relatives. INQUIRY. Circumstances connected, with the accident were related to the Deputy Coroner (Mr. H. F. Christie), during the course of the inquiry, which was held at the Heathcote Court House on Saturday afternoon. First-Constable Delaney assisted the Coroner. Victor Clarence House, said he was a member of the A.I.F., at Puckapun- yal. He went to a dance at Tooborac on the night of 13/3/42, and just after midnight met the deceased. The dance finished about 3 a.m., and he left for Heathcote in a car driven by deceased. He was riding in the back seat, and had no idea at what pace the car was travelling. The lights of the car were blacked out, and it was not possible to see -far ahead. When rounding a bend in the road, the car appeared to wobble and hit a white guard post on the side of the road. Leaving the road on the right hand side, the car hit a tree. Witness was thrown clear of the car. He was dazed and collapsed and did not see deceased. He did not know if deceased knew the road. De- ceased was sober. There was no drink in the car: He could give no reason for the car leaving the road. Sydney Thomas Wilkins, a member of the A.I.F. at Puckapunyal, de- posed: On the 13th March, I went to a dance at Tooborac with others, and met deceased about midnight. I did not go to Tooborac in the car driven by deceased. I left Tooborac for Heathcote at about 3 a.m. in a car driven by deceased. I was sitting in the front seat with deceased. We were travelling north at between 30 in to 35 miles an hour. The lights of the car were blacked out. When we were making a slight turn in the road, the car appeared to wobble and hit a post on the right-hand side of the road. It left the road and hit a tree. I was at thrown clear of the car on the left hand side. Deceased was thrown out on the right-hand side. I stopped a car and came to Heathcote where the Doctor and Police were informed. There was no drink, and the driver was sober. The deceased told me he had just hired the car and it was a to bit light on the road. Annie Howe, residing at Heathcote, a- ..aid deceased, Donald Stewart was d her nephew. She last saw him alive ae at about 6.30 on Friday evening, when c, he came home and had tea. He was r. jolly and in good spirits. 'I-He left T home about halfpast seven to ring d up the 'boat and said he would not be long. Deceased was 27 years of age t. and resided' at Wellington, New Zea d land. He came to 1eathcote for a. few , py's while waiting for the boat to i. . sa~il. He was a menmber of the. New t o Zealand Air Force, and had just re 1. turned .from active service abroad. d Dr. D. Speed said: At 4 a.m. on 14th t March, I received a call from Matron s Chapman, of the Heat'hcote Hospital, I' that there 4had been a motor-car acci dent on ,the Heathcote-Tooborac Road. t about seven miles from Heathcote, k that three soldiers had been injured t and one so badly that he could not o be moved. I proceeded to the scene a of the accident and found a man dressed in a New Zealand airman's C uniform. He was dead. At the re- e" quest' of 'the Coroner, 1 did ? a post Smoritem examination and found that ' he had bruises and uabrasions on the arims, body and legs, a deep wound on c' the forehead and 'the skull fractured cl badly. He died from fracture of the skull, injury to the brain and shock. al The dead man's name was Donald Il Stewart. '' First-Constable Delaney deposed:- m At about 41.30 a.m. on the 14/3/42, I re- to ceived a . phone message .from the H Heathlcote Hospital, stating that there 'Sc had 'been a motor car accident on the ti Tooborac-IIeathcote Road. I ?btainedl the contract car and went to the place m' of the accident. Upon arrival I found fu a man I niow know asH Donald Stewart, ot aged 27 years, membet of The New tu Zealand Air Force, dead on the right hand side of the oar. He was ibadly injured about the .head and face. I had the body conveyed to the Heath cote Hospital Morgue,. and informed his relatives of the death. Deceased was returning from 'a dance at Too 'borac land was the 'driver of the car, whicli contained besides the deceased two AIF. soldiers, Sydney Thomas Wilkins and Victor House. They were travelling north and at a slight bend in the road the car left the road on the right hand side, and travelled for a distance of about 40 yards breaking down three small trees before hitting L. large tree on the left hand side of the car. The car had swerved to the east and stopped. The body of the car was badlx damaged. The road is sealed and in excellent order. The morning was fairly dark. Deceased had only been at Heathcote three days and did not know the road. His boat was in Melbourne and he was waiting for it to sail so as to return :o New Zealand. There was no sign of drink in or about the car, which appeared in good mechanical order. i'he death was reported to Mr. -I. F. Christie, Deputy Coroner, who order Ed a post mnoi'tem to he held. It wmis performed by Dr. Speed in my pre sence. The Coroner's finding was that de ceased met his death from injuries re ceived in a motor accident. The funeral took place on Sunday afternoon, when the remains were laid 'to rest in the I-eathcote Ceme tery. A number of New Zealand air men attended and there were in at tendance also representatives of the -Ieathco'te Branch of the Returned Soldiers' League and military authori ties. The service at the graveside was 'cad by .Roev. Father Murphy, and the a uiner'al arrangements were carried )iut by Messrs. Perry Bros., of -Icath sote. ni
    Last edited by Jagan; 31st December 2019 at 19:47.

Thanks

21 Jan 1942

McDONALD, JAMES (1563285) RAFVR - age 18

He was serving at RAF Dyce but was probably travelling on board the SS Loch Garry, and drowned when the ship ran aground off Rathlin Island, County Antrim. His death was registered in Ballycastle.

CWGC head stone states he drowned at sea. A death certificate for a James MacDonald (18) does not mention him being in the RAF, but it seems too much of a co-incidence to be two different people

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks everyone

1942 returns 21390 records, 19294 records (90.20%) have circumstances of death. 2096 records (9.80%) do not have details

Next Goal, get the 1942 Unaccounted to dip below 2000? :)

Overall 122357 records, 106011 records (86.64%) have circumstances of death. 16346 records (13.36%) do not have details.

Last edited by Jagan; 31st December 2019 at 19:53.