Thread: Service numbers and allocation date

Thanks

Default Service numbers and allocation date

Hello, I'm doing research into my grandfathers service in the RAF during world war 2 and am looking for advice.

I've located the only serviceman with his name in the AIR78 index. (Thanks to this site)
    The index card is stamped with a capital F inside a circle which I understand means this person signed up pre-war sometime between 1935 - 1937, approx

The catch is that the service number is too low. It is allocated for 'Oct 1925 civillians'
    If this is the correct person then it means he signed up when he was 7 years old.

Here is what I need help with

1. Could he have signed up late 1930's and still be allocated a service number from the 1925 range?

2. Is it possible for class F reserves to be posted over-seas? I though this was a no-no
    I have photos of him as an NCO wearing what appears to be warm weather uniform ie. light colour.
    The photo frame is original and from a photographers studio in Adelaide, Australia.

3. On another airmens index card I've seen the letters 'KS' appended.
    Does anyone know what these letters mean?

4. Without being sure of the service number, I'm planning to apply for my grandfathers service records without stating a service number.
    Could this cause a problem?

Thanks in advance

Thanks

The AIR 78 Card shows his service number, and you say that you have this? Therefore I'm slightly confused as to why you say that you don't? You don't actually list this specific number, so I can't comment much further, however, the number block was allocated to civilian recruits who joined the service FROM October 1925. If it is the block I am thinking of (5XXXXX), then this was still being used for new recruits in 1938.

Your grandfather appears to have been a regular airman, but at some point he joined the Class F Reserve, ergo, he could easily have been posted overseas during his regular service. Please note that service personnel are not always 'posted' overseas. They can visit on exercise, be attached, transit through, etc.

I'm not sure what 'KS' means, as I've never noticed it on a card.

The RAF Disclosures folk will be able to pull your grandfather's service record without the number, but as you already seem to have it, why not include it on the form (with a caveat if necessary)?

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Scotty I will ask again, there are a number of people here with a lot of knowledge to help you but it would help if you could supply your grandfathers name

Thanks

Ok, here are the details of the serviceman who could be my grandfather:
    John Fernie Kyle 531391.
    For some reason I thought the (5XXXXX) service numbers were fully allocated after 1925.

The other serviceman with the 'KS' on his card is:
    Thomas Frame Kyle 1520553
    I know he served with 138 squadron @ RAF Tempsford and was taken prisoner after his plane was shot down over Denmark in 1945

Thanks

Various Air 78 cards have initials such as KS on them. I wouldn't read anything into that, Could just be the initials of the person completing the record, or entering the name onto a ledger. If your Grandfathers name is John Fernie Kyle then I have no doubt you have identified the right card.

Chirs

Thanks

Scotty

I have no doubt you have found your grandfathers service number

I did a 'near' number search on London Gazette

ACCOUNTANT BRANCH
    To be Plt. Offs. on prob. (emergency): —

Sgt. 531384 William Homo BUNDY (50793). 16th Feb. 1943

Forces War Records has
    William Homow Bundy 531384 1925 Royal Air Force

His unique name finds him easy to find in BMD records

This individual was Born 1916 Died 1992

So in 1925 he was '9' so he most likely enlisted in 1936 to 1938 bracket like your Grandfather

As your grandfather was 7 in 1925 he was born in 1918 so he would be 18 in 1936 and 20 by 1938

I Can't find exact DOB for your grandfather,I assume he was born in Scotland

Paul

Thanks

Agree with Paul. I would tend towards 1936 (when he became 18) as a likely Enlistment year. Employment was very hard to find at that time (as my own father found out!).
    Agree Scottish origin for Fernie (although I am currently working on a female with Fernie as a forename - and a Spanish surname!! Might take some sorting out!).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Brilliant, my thanks to paulmcmillan & Resmoroh

You are correct about his origins - 100% Scottish.

Thanks

For what it is worth, this service number indicates an enlistment date of April / May 1936.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.