Thread: Posting to 21 Squadron

Thanks

Default Posting to 21 Squadron

Hi,

Would anyone know when Flt Lt George Archibald Marshall Pryde (32232) was posted to 21 Squadron? It would be sometime between April 1938 and 1940. I have info that states he was 'B' Flight Commander, 21 Squadron by February 1940.

I can't find this posting in The Times archive.

Thanks,

Alex

Thanks

Hi Alex

I have just checked 21 Squadrons ORB and the first mention of him is on the 17th November 1939 when he went on a reconn of WILHELMSHAFEN in Blenheim L8741. The crew being S/Ldr G.A.M. Pryde, 563808 Sgt A Summers and 547157 Lac F Searle.

There is a list of Officers who were with the squadron on the 3rd September 1939, he is NOT recorded on that list. The 'A' Flight commander was F/Lt R.D.C. Gibson and the 'B' Flight commander was S/Ldr G.E. Macdonald.

He had recorded 23 missions with the squadron by the time his last recorded mission with 21 Sqn took place, which was on the 6th June 1940.

He obviously returned to the UK after this date as he was killed on the 19th June 1940 while a part of the infamous "Blenheim Delivery Flight" from the UK to the Middle East.

Hope this helps you.

Pel Temple

He received a DFC in the middle of August 1940 while supposedly with 21 Sqn.

Thanks

Hi Pel,

Thank you for the info on Sqn Ldr Pryde, much appreciated.

Regards,

Alex

Thanks

Alex, I have used R.A.F. Appointments as key words in the Times Archives on occasions and have noted that they seem to stop printing them at the end of 1938.
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Hi Terry,

I noticed that as well. After about October 1938 they don't appear anymore. I've tried other combinations but no luck.

Alex