Thread: Typhoon Pilots - 247 Sqn, 16 Aug 44-3 Feb 45

Thanks

Default Typhoon Pilots - 247 Sqn, 16 Aug 44-3 Feb 45

Have looked on internet & cannot find a 247 Sqn Association. Is there one & I just can't find it?

Also, are there any surviving Typhoo pilots who flew with 247 Sqn, 16 Aug 44 - 3 Feb 45?

I am looking for this info as part of ongoing research into F/L EA Magee (J17298), a Canadian who flew with 247 Sqn until he force-landed (and was taken POW) 3 Feb 45.

John Dean

Thanks

There was a 247 Sqn Association but it disbanded about 10 (?) years ago. I was a member as my father was with the squadron in the winter of 1944/5. He knew 'Fibber' McGee but unfortunately died 25 years ago. I don't know of any surviving members but that is not to say there aren't any.
    CT

Thanks

Chris

Thank you - very much - for this & your other reply.

The reason I ask about clothing is that F/L Magee force-landed 3 Feb 45 at Telgte, Germany & evaded for 3 nights until he was captured near Greven. When you say battle dress, would that be just a standard uniform (almost like felt)? It would have been very cold. I would have thought that when flying in winter, pilots would wear a "winter" flying suit, just in case they crashed & had to run.

You said your father knew Magee. Did he ever speak about him? Was he flying with Magee on 3 Feb 45?

This might be obvious, but was your father's surname Thomas? Was he a Canadian?

John Dean
    Brighton, Ontario, Canada

Thanks

W/O S.R.Thomas (commissioned c.12/44) was my father and he came from Wales. He never said anything significant (as I recall) about Magee. The only Canadian from that period that I had contact with was John Porter who, 25 years ago, lived in Qualicum Beach BC.

Thanks

John,

Have you contacted Larry Millberry or Hugh Halliday? They may or may not have recollections on Magee from the book they did on Canadians and the Typhoon and Tempest. I know that Larry attended many of the Typhoon pilot reunions and Hugh was interviewing them. As for what clothing they would have been wearing at the time, standard issue, a BD, wool sweater and the Irving leather jacket. Studying images of the time-period would give you a better idea.

Stephen

Thanks

Just a guess, but I imagine that in the winter of 1944/45, the normal dress for Typhoon pilots operating over Europe would have been the standard "Battledress" (the RAF stores system would have it called "Blouse" and "Trousers" and the whole combination was called a "Flying Suit" which was manufactured from a fairly heavy woollen ("serge") material). This "flying suit" was interesting in that it was in the "Flying clothing" category (cannot recall what the exact Section reference numbers were, although all standard RAF clothing was in Section 22), rather than a uniform item as such. Also additional clothing to keep warm may have been worn, such as Seaman's Jersey or roll-neck sweater, plus any of the popular flying boot types on issue at time. I do not know if Mae Wests were always worn on operations, despite fact that most flying would be over land, but it probably was. Also usual flying helmet (Type C), oxygen mask (Type H), etc. There are some fairly good reference books on RAF attire, including flying gear for WW2, and it should not be too hard to find some good photos of fighter pilot with 2nd TAF at the relevant time.
    David D