Thread: loss info needed on 7 Squadron Lancaster ND353 22-23 April 1944 Düsseldorf raid

Thanks

Default loss info needed on 7 Squadron Lancaster ND353 22-23 April 1944 Düsseldorf raid

Dear all,

Who can give me the exact location of loss of 7 Squadron Lancaster ND353 during the 22-23 April 1944 Düsseldorf raid? The aircraft was attacked over target by a night fighter and partially abandoned, three of the crew being killed and first buried at Grevenbroich. Info on the time of the night fighter attack and the Time over Target of 7 Squadron would also be helpful.

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Hi Theo,
    ND353/N had two RCAF members but both of them survived so no chance to get some details from their RCAF records as they are avaiable only for those who got killed.
    No. 7 Sq ORB is also not informative, no time of bombing is given for thos who have returned.

So I am afraid no help from me

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel,

Cheers and thanks for your quick reply! Odd though that no bombing times are mentioned in the 7 Squadron ORB..

Best, Theo

Thanks

I have checked the crew once more and one of the killed was really RCAF member:

Warrant Officer Class II (Air Gunner)RHOADES, ERNEST ALBERT
    Service Number R/129126
    Died 23/04/1944
    Aged 28
    7 (R.A.F.) Sqdn
    Royal Canadian Air Force

but I am unable to find his record online both by service number and his surname. Maybe some other members like Simon will have better luck or the record is really missing.
    If we would be lucky there may be a reburial reports and/or the crash location.
    But this person seems to be little mysterious...

Pavel

Thanks

His Registration of Death Certificate is on Ancestry but not his service file. On the LA Canada site there is a record of his service record, but it is not on-line.

His death certificate merely states missing now presumed dead. There are next of kin details and personal details but nothing else of much interest

Thanks

So the only help of the approximate crash location may be the Grave Concentration Report Form from reburial on 20.11.46 where is stated that the 3 members of ND353 was originally buried at "Grevenbroich civilian cemetery". Grevenbroich is a town some 20 kms to the SW of Dussedolf centre. So it fits but unfortunately does not help much.

Pavel

Thanks

Hi,

Rhoades' file isn't missing. Ancestry just didn't scan it. So far I've come across about 100 who, for whatever reason, didn't get scanned.

Come this July, F/Lt MacGillivray will have been deceased 20 years and his file will be open https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/th...&pid=189713682

Can't find any sign of the other RCAF POW, WOII Lorne Stuart Weir of Toronto.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Hi Theo,

I have the log book to an Aussie Navigator on 466 Sqn who was on the raid on Düsseldorf. It does not give the bombing time but they took off at 2230hrs and the trip lasted 5.45 hours, they of course were in the main stream of the bombing force and 7 Sqn was PPF and would have been in the first wave. I hope that helps a little bit.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Thanks a lot chaps for your kind and helpful replies! I estimate that the 7 Squadron Pathfinders were over target at around 01.10 hrs.

Cheers, Theo