Thread: Any truth or details to this story ?

Thanks

Default Any truth or details to this story ?

RCAF Press Release No.10225 dated 16 May 1945 from F/L A.F. Tinsley reads as follows:

WITH THE RCAF OVERSEAS HEADQUARTERS, LONDON: -- The war has produced many weird, sometimes almost unbelievable stories, but none stranger than one related by Group Captain Larry Wray, AFC, of Ottawa, Ontario, member of the RCAF who has just reached England after being liberated from a Nazi Prisoner of War camp.

A young Royal Air Force flier was falling through the air after his aircraft disintegrated following a direct hit on it. He had only his parachute harness on…no parachute canopy.

As he hurtled to certain death, he suddenly spotted a parachute pack falling beside him. Stretching out his arms, he grabbed the pack, hooked it quickly to his harness, pulled the rip-chord, and the canopy opened. He floated down safely and was captured and imprisoned.

G/C Wray was not able to learn the RAF man’s name, because he was in a different prison camp, but the story was vouched for by German prison authorities.

Thanks

I am very sure that I have read this story before in a book

Apparently both airman and parachute pack were blown out of exploding airplane

Thanks

I haven't heard that before but I seem to recall something similar being used in modern action films. What are the odds though? I suspect it could only have happened once during the whole war. Any mathematicians care to calculate probabilities?

I remember reading a similar story of a US Airborne trooper hitting the ground after his parachute failed in a practice jump and getting up and asking what happened to his incredulous colleagues. This may have been in "Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose but it was a long time ago.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure I've read about this, perhaps in one of Mel Rolfe's books.

But I did come across:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rapped-on.html

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Maybe I was thinking this one 4 Nov 1944 Halifax 466 Sqn RAAF on way back from attack on Rhur got shot down by Flak all crew Pilot Flt Lt Joe Herman ordered crew to bail out but did not have time to put on his own parachute. He was blown out without one but on way down collided with the legs of his mid upper turret gunner Flt Sgt John “Irish” Vivash who had already opened his parachute

He managed to cling on to him all the way down on a single parachute and both survived

Had they both jumped together under one parachute the other holding on the force of the opening of pa train chute would have caused the one hanging on to be jerked off

Thanks

Source. Bailing Out by Robert Jackson

Thanks

I think the closest I have heard is Nicholas Alkemade, although he didnt grab a convenient parachute

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/blog/th...ible-alkemade/

Thanks

Sgt Ogwyn Francis GEORGE 619031 RAF survived a fall of 3000 feet without a parachute landing in trees and deep snow when 210 Squadron Sunderland L2167 got shot down over Norway on 9th April 1940.
    He was the sole survivor of that crew
    He returned to Norway in 1972 and met the King of Norway!

Chris