Thread: F/Sgt L F Holland, 220 sqdn, Jan 44 - Dec 45.

Thanks

Default F/Sgt L F Holland, 220 sqdn, Jan 44 - Dec 45.

I am researching my father, F/Sgt L F Holland, rear gunner on 220 sqdn between approx January 1944 to December 1945. I would be grateful should anybody have any crew photos or any other information for 220 sqdn around this time. During this period 220 was out in the Adores.

Many thanks.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Hello Stuart and welcome to the forum.

I've checked the 220 Sqn Operations Record Book for January to mid-May 1944 and don't see your father's name in the crew listings.

Do you happen to know who his crew captain was? His name would be in your father's logbook if you have it. Let me know and either way I'll take another look.

Given the date range you quoted, your father would have been on Fortresses initially before likely switching to the Liberator.

Non-cockpit crew members typically rotated positions every hour to rest their eyes after scanning the ocean. This was a particularly welcome respite for those rotating through the tail gun position as they had to squat on something akin to a bicycle seat and had their heads battered within the narrow confines of the tail fairing during turbulent conditions. So there was no dedicated tail gunner as such, but a number of Wireless Operator/Air Gunners who changed positions on a pre-planned rotation.

You may be interested in the second edition of my book: Boeing B-17 Fortress in RAF Coastal Command Service. It includes extensive coverage of 220 and 206 Sqns in the Azores.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 21st December 2019 at 16:34.

Thanks

Hello Stuart:

Found your father in the 220 Sqn ORB. Looks like he arrived with the Liberators that replaced the Fortresses from early December 1944.

Will extract the entries with your father aboard.

Not sure if Liberator crews performed the crew rotation I described for the Fortress.

Robert

Thanks

I believe that almost the whole 'rear crew' used to rotate regularly on at least some crews - especially for looking at the search radar scopes,one could not look at the same scope for hours on end.

Thanks

Stuart:

Here are the operational flight dates for your father on Liberators based at Lagens in the Azores - he appears to have changed crews three times. Can send more details if of interest:

• December 13, 1944, captain Flg Off L H Hubbard (CAN)
    • December 15
    • December 21
    • February 9, 1945, captain Flg Off A L Ewart (NZ)
    • February 20
    • February 24
    • March 1, captain Flg Off S E Martin (CAN)
    • March 5
    • March 16
    • March 20
    • March 27
    • April 18
    • April 23
    • May 29

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 23rd December 2019 at 18:26. Reason: March 5 op date added