Thread: Courts Martial Query

Thanks

Default Courts Martial Query

I have a few men over 41 Squadron's first 30 years who were court-martialed, and available information, ORBs, Courts Martial registers, etc., generally provides little more information than, for example, "Dismissed for scandalous conduct under Section 40" or "Court-martialed for scandalous conduct under Section 40, sentenced to be cashiered but commuted to dismissal".

Is there any way of finding out what actually happened / what they did, or is that sort of information closed to the public as a matter of principle?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve

They may have been reported in the newspapers at the time. I've come across a few reported there, usually to do with theft, dodgy cheques or even extra-marital affairs...!

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Steve,
    I thought Section 40 was the old 'catch-all' of " . . . conduct prejudicial, etc, etc,", but it seems it was in relation to 'striking a superior officer'. So we are probably looking at a punch-up in the Mess during/after a Dining-In Night. So if the offence occurred within the Station bounds it would not(probably?) be reported in the local press. Court Martial proceedings files were (and still are?) governed by the same sort of constraints that apply to the Lancastria files (I was told that my evidence - as a Technical Expert - at the Courts Martial I was involved in was so covered). So unless you have access to the diary, or letters, of someone who was actually present at the apparent fracases then you might be out of luck.
    Best I can do - but it's not a lot of help!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Many thanks Simon and Peter

It seems that Section 40 has changed over time, so I may need to do a little more digging, but thank you for your input and insights.

Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm