Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Application of aircraft code letters

Thanks

The biggest task on a squadron when receiving new a/c was bringing them up to date with the list of modifications. In Bomber Command, new squadrons were initially issued old a/c specifically so they wouldn't start with a full complement of bombers to modify.

Richard

Thanks

Richard, this was MU job, at least officially.
    https://www.facebook.com/Franciszek-Grabowski-241360809684411/

Thanks

Hi

The AMOs covering colours schemes, codes and serial numbers are on my website - https://rafweb.org/Squadrons/Sqn%20M.../sqn_codes.htm

As Franek mentioned aircraft were brought up to operational standard at an MU before delivery but if modifications were needed after entering service, this was usually completed by teams sent out from the MU not by squadron personnel.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Franek - yes, but as you say ... 'officially' :) I'm going from comments in the 1 Group Summaries and admin insttructions about the process of forming new squadrons, generally by the transfer of 'C' Flight from an existing squadron. For eg 625 Squadron, the process is exacerbated because the station (Kelstern) is itself in the 'opening up' process. Looking at the Admin appendices in the BC ORB, the list of Mods at any one time could be considerable, many of them quite trivial and not worth sending out teams from MUs. Nor were factory-issued a/c fully up to date on Mods because of the impact on production. Hence policy was that new squadrons were issued with a/c which 'can only be described as shop-soiled' (quote from 1 Gp Summary for October 1943).

Cheers,

Richard
    Last edited by Richard; 28th December 2019 at 17:48.

Thanks

Hi Richard
    I would expect the situation to be an exception rather than the rule. Obviously there were some backlogs in aircraft modification, and at times it was necesary to upgrade large numbers of aircraft in virtually no time.
    https://www.facebook.com/Franciszek-Grabowski-241360809684411/

Thanks

I would expect new squadrons at this stage of the war to be issued with older aircraft simply to allow the crews to get flying hours and experience, and new aircraft to be issued before the unit was judged ready for operations. Older aircraft would be quite likely to be lacking more recent modifications, but unless they had specific operational value (and hence a relevance for training) I see no priority in getting them done.

The other point is of course that modifications vary in size and complexity. Small ones would indeed be within the unit's capabilities.